southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: epoxy questions
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:59 am 
Brown Trout

I was gonna be a smart azz and say its sticky... ooops I did it any ways..... :mrgreen:

Seriously, go to the local pharmacy and they will give you either the little plastic measuring cups for kids medicine, or even better the plastic syringes used for giving kids Meds.

Mark one with red tape and one with blue.... or any other combination you choose, just remember which color is used for which part of the epoxy. The syringes are marked in ml's so it it easy to make sure your proportions are exact. When finished for the day rinse with some paint thinner/cement thinner and then wash with soap and water and air dry. Works Great!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:56 am 
Brown Trout

The Loc-Tite 5-min epoxy I get from Home Depot comes in a double plunger dispensing tube. Press evenly, and you get equal amounts. For small batches I use a cottage cheese container lid. I also use the McDonalds paddle shaped coffee stirrers as the mixing spatula, but a sliver of a cut up credit card also works.

I hate working with epoxy myself, but there are applications where it's what's needed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:03 am 
Brook Trout

thanks so much guys, that is all some great information. now I have to go eat lunch at McD's today!

pt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:37 pm 
Brook Trout

If you don't have the small plastic cups, a square of heavy duty aluminum foil spread on a flat surface will also serve the purpose.

Stirring the epoxy will many times form cloudy air bubbles in the mixture. Immediately after mixing place the epoxy near your mouth and exhale onto the surface of the epoxy. Gently stir and exhale onto the surface again. The heat and moisture from your breath will break the surface tension and release the trapped air bubbles providing a clear epoxy mixture.

Cyberfish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:59 pm 
Cyberfish wrote:
Immediately after mixing place the epoxy near your mouth and exhale onto the surface of the epoxy. Gently stir and exhale onto the surface again. The heat and moisture from your breath will break the surface tension and release the trapped air bubbles providing a clear epoxy mixture.

Cyberfish

Then inhale deeply and enjoy the ride ;)

Also (forgive me if this was already mentioned) the faster you try to mix the epoxy, the more likely air bubbles will form. Stir it nice and slow.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:43 pm 
Warpaint Shiner

Have you tried Tuffeleye I have used it with good results.The one draw back is having to rub it with alcohal to get the film of it.