southernflyangler.com
http://southernflyangler.com/forum/

A Couple of Midges for Y'all
http://southernflyangler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1229
Page 1 of 2

Author:  Streamer [ Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:24 pm ]
Post subject:  A Couple of Midges for Y'all

Here's a midge pupa/emerger (size 20) for your inspection:


Image

Here's a midge dry (size 20) that is made from black bear hair:

Image

All comments/critiques are welcome, except for Overbroke, who ties flies large enough to eat these two. :lol:

OK, Tom....you too.

Yer Pal,
Streamer

Author:  Mstash [ Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A Couple of Midges for Y'all

Streamer you look like me
I've been in this house for 10 day's and making all kinds of creations. In hopes they will work one day.
Like the fist one the best

Looking good Streamer

Author:  Devinsdad [ Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A Couple of Midges for Y'all

Very nice Jule, I esecially like the first one... sweet.

To be honest though, I thought you had some fishin photos of 5x and Mstash :mrgreen:

Author:  5xTippett [ Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A Couple of Midges for Y'all

I like the first one the best, too. Hop in the car and deliver some to Ralph. He can field test them on the Smith, and if they work you can tie up a bunch for me, Peewee, Dean and Al. We woudn't want you to be bored this winter! :lol: Whoops! I just caught DD's comment about me and Rick. I would like to refer you to Croaker's picture of the dead armadillo. :twisted:

Author:  Mstash [ Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A Couple of Midges for Y'all

Devinsdad wrote:
Very nice Jule, I esecially like the first one... sweet.

To be honest though, I thought you had some fishin photos of 5x and Mstash :mrgreen:



Hold on

Author:  River Man [ Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A Couple of Midges for Y'all

Those look great Jule and it's good to see some flies sized properly. Still can't get Overcooked to wrap a hook smaller than a size 6.

You always have a place to test them...don't forget :D .

Author:  steelhead [ Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A Couple of Midges for Y'all

Streamer,

What was your reasoning for using the Black Bear hair? It seems too dense to me (it looks like you are going for an emerger effect). Not so much in the tail or wing, but the hump-back part. The thread wraps are amazingly tidy for such a small fly, what type of thread are you using?

Steelhead fly tying is top priority now, but after that it will be all about the midges. I am severely lacking midges, and it is a major food source for winter inland trout around here.

Author:  overbrook [ Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A Couple of Midges for Y'all

River Man wrote:
Still can't get Overcooked to wrap a hook smaller than a size 6.


size 6 is for dinks....and where's my brookie picture .....I got a sheep picture with your name.....errr face on it....and unless you wanna see it ....I'd be sending that picture over real soon! :twisted:

P.S. Jule.....I like the first one too....can it be tied in a 2/0 ?? thnx

yer pal

Oversized

Author:  Streamer [ Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A Couple of Midges for Y'all

steelhead wrote:
Streamer,

What was your reasoning for using the Black Bear hair? It seems too dense to me (it looks like you are going for an emerger effect). Not so much in the tail or wing, but the hump-back part. The thread wraps are amazingly tidy for such a small fly, what type of thread are you using?

Steelhead fly tying is top priority now, but after that it will be all about the midges. I am severely lacking midges, and it is a major food source for winter inland trout around here.


My reasoning in using the black bear hair is because I have half a bear laying in my tying room! Actually, I was trying to create a midge with a single material. It's not actually very dense. I humped up the body a bit, so 1/2 of what you see is airspace between the body hair and the thread body wraps. It's tied kinda like a Humpy, in fact. It floats pretty well, but if (when) it sinks, it seems to take on an emerger appearance, so it won't really matter either way.

The thread is UTC 70 denier, Dun is the color. It flattens out nicely for a neat head.

Here's the whole deal:
I wrap a thread body from eye to bend, then tie in the bear hair at the bend. That gives you the tail. I wrap the thread up to one eye width from the eye, then pinch/pull the bear hair back to the index point, allowing the hair to "puff up" a bit, and tie it down with a couple of wraps toward the eye. Then I pull the butts back over the body and tie that down over the original securing wraps, wrap the thread back towrad the eye, make a small taper to the make the head, and whip finish. Then I just snip the bear hair wing to just beyond the bend of the hook.Ththththat's all, folks.

Yer Pal,
Streamer

Author:  steelhead [ Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: A Couple of Midges for Y'all

Streamer wrote:
My reasoning in using the black bear hair is because I have half a bear laying in my tying room!


Good enough reason for me! :)

Streamer wrote:
It floats pretty well, but if (when) it sinks, it seems to take on an emerger appearance, so it won't really matter either way


That hump will probably hold an air bubble when submerged.

I think my "too dense" comment is because I am just used to seeing midges with CDC or antron loops over the thorax. Just not used to seeing fur used.

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 5 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/