southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Warning: long winded newbie questions
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:27 pm 
Brown Trout

teachrtec wrote:
FlyFisher22 I put up a tutorial for the Pom-Pom egg in the patterns area under nymphs. Hope that helps. It is a easy tie/fabrication.

That must be on the "old site" as well. I tied a lot of eggs from those instructions when I first got the vice. Thanks for posting it here as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:34 pm 
Brown Trout

Streamer wrote:
Good Luck! Hands-on instruction is available for these two flies from damn-near anybody at L & T. See you there.

I figured I would not find a better place to learn how to tie them. I have been looking at instructions since December and could probably take a stab at them myself. I just have not purchased the materials yet. Getting a true list of what I need and understanding what those things are has been harder than finding tutorials and recipes. I am getting it together though and hope to get everything this coming weekend. Thanks for all of the recipes and links. They will come in handy soon.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:35 pm 
Brown Trout

phg wrote:
FlyFisher22 wrote:

Thanks for any help you can give! We will be there, if he is not to scared to show his face after falling down on his job :lol:

You mean he still hasn't called out whats-his-face? :twisted:

He's welcome to come to L&T anyway. We'll just have to try harder to corrupt him.

Maybe we can get him to post someting LIVE FROM L & T!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:12 am 
Brown Trout

FlyFisher22 wrote:
teachrtec wrote:
FlyFisher22 I put up a tutorial for the Pom-Pom egg in the patterns area under nymphs. Hope that helps. It is a easy tie/fabrication.

That must be on the "old site" as well. I tied a lot of eggs from those instructions when I first got the vice. Thanks for posting it here as well.

It's the same pattern. That's the way I do all my 'for the stream flies'. I do the yarn once in awhile just to see if I can.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:39 am 
Brown Trout

Cam,

Tie the simple proven stuff first. Such as a caddis larva imitation (Cat Caddis). 44% of a trouts diet is caddis flies and their larval stage.

A Pheasant Tail is not real simple, but you need it in your box because it is a pretty fair imitation of mayfly and stonefly nymphs.

This is really important. Don't buy up a bunch of tying material until you have been to L&T.
This will save you tons of money and you won't end up with as much unusable stuff as all the rest of us bug spinners have :mrgreen:

There will be some of the best tyers in the S.E. USA at L& T. Plus several world class tyers
All of whom have made every tying mistake known to man. There will be tons of tying material there, so don't buy up stuff just to have something to tie with. Such as, I am going to bring a turkey skin that you can pull plenty of feathers out of !!!

JT

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:07 pm 
Brown Trout

I want some of that wild turkey marabou!

It's always hard to argue with JT, especially when he's right. Just bring yourself and your vise (a few vices are also tolerated). There's usually a fair bit of give-away materials for beginners.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:54 am 
Brown Trout

Thanks for the advice JT! I will not go too crazy with material until I have been to L&T. After shopping around online it is apperant that I atleast need a hands on lesson geared towards what I am looking for, there is a lot of $&!% out there :shock:!!!!!!!!!