southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Clouser length for stripers
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:50 pm 
Brown Trout

I vaguely recall that the the fly tyer should adjust the length of the hair on a Clouser minnow by the strike preferences of the target species. (Longer for toothy fish, shorter for non-toothy fish?). Some examples show the bend of the hook at approximately the 1/2 way point, while other examples show it closer to the front at maybe only 1/3 of the way back.

Does someone have suggestions on the best dimensions for stripers?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Clouser length for stripers
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:24 pm 
Brown Trout

Not sure I have a answer but maybe another question. Does a species preference of head or tail attack of bait make a difference to?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:50 pm 
Brown Trout

Aaron.....Stripers have a giant maw with which they can inhale pretty large flies/baitfish. And to Brad's question, stripers tend to smash a bait near the head. But still, the fly size should be matched to the size of the actual forage base that is present where you are fishing.
For instance, throw a cast net into the general area you're fishing. Are the shad two inches long? Four? Eight? Whatever you are finding, use that size.
In the Roanoke River, near Weldon, N.C., the forage shad are usually about 4" long. So I"ll take flies that size, tied on size 2/0 hooks. When I find the baitfish size average to be larger, I'll also have on-hand Clousers that are tied longer, but on the same hook size.

Yer Pal,
Streamer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:17 pm 
Brown Trout

Thanks for the explanation. So far this year, I have tied a dozen for Weldon that are closer to 3.25 inches on some smaller hooks. My next batch will be a bit longer. Adding to the mystery, however, the guy who was catching the most last year was using red and white Clousers tied small and short -- maybe 1.5 inches. Still can't figure that out. They had an odd color preference the day before, too. Might have been purple and white, although I can't really recall. I was ready with some 4 inch chartreuse, but was having a tough time closing the deal. Mostly, I think that was a function of not getting the fly down far enough. I suspect that I will show up with 30 ft of T-14 this season, unless I can find something that will sink faster and deeper than that.

Streamer wrote:
Aaron.....Stripers have a giant maw with which they can inhale pretty large flies/baitfish. And to Brad's question, stripers tend to smash a bait near the head. But still, the fly size should be matched to the size of the actual forage base that is present where you are fishing.
For instance, throw a cast net into the general area you're fishing. Are the shad two inches long? Four? Eight? Whatever you are finding, use that size.
In the Roanoke River, near Weldon, N.C., the forage shad are usually about 4" long. So I"ll take flies that size, tied on size 2/0 hooks. When I find the baitfish size average to be larger, I'll also have on-hand Clousers that are tied longer, but on the same hook size.

Yer Pal,
Streamer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:59 pm 
Brown Trout

Aaron,
FYI.....The Roanoke also has a huge population of shiners that will show up about the same time as the stripers do. They don't get a lot of attention because of the shad presence, but that's why sometimes a smaller baitfish will get attention over the larger gizzard shad.

Yer Pal,
Streamer