southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: bwo emeger question
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:24 pm 
Brook Trout

so i saw this and thought it looked pretty good and within my tying ability, so last night I tied up a couple of dozen in different sizes, 18 and 20.

http://www.riverflybox.co.uk/sloopnymph.html

but now after thinking about it, I have a question.

If it is an emerger pattern, why the tungsten bead? aren't emerger patterns supposed to stay in the film? float right at or under the surface?

Maybe this isn't really an emerger at all... It kinda looks like a caddis pupae, but then I really don't know what it looks like or what it is supposed to look like. It was presented as a BWO emerger on that other board and some one pointed out that the poster actually stole this photo and pattern from this site. is this an emerger or just a heavy nymph?

I was going to tie some up with out the bead

thoughts?

which is the correct way?

pt

Post subject: Re: bwo emeger question
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:34 pm 
Brown Trout

It's pretty small, it may not sink very much. I've tied some tungsten bead heads that floated in the surface film. I couldn't get them to break through. All I can say is give it a try. Even if it does sink, as a dropper about 12" down, it will still function as an emerger.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:35 pm 
Brown Trout

Peter...really an emerger is just a way of referring to a nymph that is getting ready to "hatch out" into a dry....so technically....you could find an emerger anywhere from the bottom of the stream to the surface and anywhere in between....another way to think of it would be a "budding" nymph....its just another stage such as in the case of the caddis you have a larva, a pupae,and an adult .....essentially the emerger would be the pupae form of the BWO. so yeah...it could be tied with a bead.....hope that helps. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:33 pm 
Brook Trout

thanks guys, that explains it. That was what I thought, but i am easily confused.......

pt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:37 pm 
Brown Trout

Do the same pattern minus the bead. Double rig and cover two levels in the water column.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:11 pm 
Brown Trout

If you are fishing broken water I'd keep the bead. I also tie a sort of semi-bouyant bwo nymph and do well with a tiny split shot up the line jiggling/walking it through riffles. These recent discussions about this particular fly have me thinking I might add a little sprig of krystal flash to the wingcase or something similar.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:23 pm 
Brown Trout

Theron
Your version and you fishing it is about something that needs be seen :) Cool show.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:46 pm 
Brown Trout

Peter,
Fish the ones you have with a down and across cast, throw in a couple of upstream mends, then near the end of the drift, lift the rod tip to simulate the fly "swimming" to the surface to hatch. Leisenring Lift is what it's called.

If you want a less weighty version, just substitute a matte black glass craft bead for the tungsten. Same look with less weight.

Yer Pal,
Streamer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:42 am 
Brown Trout

Looks good, I'd say it catches fish regardless. Wild trout are generally too opportunistic to worry about larvae, pupa, emerger, adult, budding, dry, nymph, etc. It's all food and food is good!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:26 am 
Rainbow Trout

ctchrelz wrote:
so i saw this and thought it looked pretty good and within my tying ability, so last night I tied up a couple of dozen in different sizes, 18 and 20.

http://www.riverflybox.co.uk/sloopnymph.html

but now after thinking about it, I have a question.

If it is an emerger pattern, why the tungsten bead? aren't emerger patterns supposed to stay in the film? float right at or under the surface?
pt

nowhere on the linked page does it ever say its an "emerger"

it says "S Loop Nymph"