southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My attempts at Clousers
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:41 pm 
Brown Trout

Friends, here is a picture of some of the Clouser minnows I have been tying in anticipation of Weldon this year:

The ones in the picture are tied on a Gamakatsu size 2 saltwater hooks (SL11-3H) for no other reason except that is what I had lying around. Finished off those hooks and bought some Gamakatsu 2/0 stinger hooks for the next round. I am using 1/4 oz eyes to help them sink a little better. Getting to the bottom fast seems to be the real trick for success.

All comments and criticisms are welcome -- I have thick skin, too, so don't hold back. I think I could go lighter on the hair (at least on the ones I didn't take pictures of, and maybe the top and bottom pictured fly) and maybe even move the eye a little farther back. I kind of like the red gill, but I don't know if it will actually help (or hurt).

Post subject: Re: My attempts at Clousers
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:28 pm 
Brown Trout

I'm not the expert. I fish a Clouser. Those all look like getters to me. Wet them and see if that bait-fish profile. My preferred way of checking all streamers.

Streamer can give a better critique on long bugs.

Last edited by teachrtec on Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:15 pm 
Brown Trout

I'm with Teach, they look like they will work to me. I like that little extra red flash behind the eyes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:36 pm 
Brown Trout

I've always like a little red on a streamer. Just screams wounded fish, easy meal, to me. Not sure what it say's to the fish though. 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:27 am 
Brown Trout

I too like the red flash behind the eyes.
Clouser number 3 may be a bit long. In other words,you may get some short strikes from 15 inch fish.

You prolly should tie a few in 1/8 oz also for fishing in water less than 5 feet

JT

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:39 pm 
Brown Trout

Those are some great flies pal. Those 1/4 oz eyes will make a knot on your head (or your pal's if he is in the boat with you :lol: ) so throw some open loops! Maybe tie those 1/8 oz slightly sparser and still get the depth you are after?
Looks good to me if that means anything :D .

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:22 pm 
Brown Trout

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I am working up another set that I will keep at 3.75 to 4 inches from the hook eye to the tip of the longest hairs. Trying to keep them sparse, too. The new hook itself has a slightly longer shank so it is better suited to the task. I will get a picture of my progress sometime this week.

These particular flies are for the striper run at Weldon. The river is fairly deep (more than 20 feet) and the current is swift. I am trying to pull out all the stops in terms of getting my fly down quick. Keeping them sparse should be a key to this so that suggestion is noted and appreciated.

My sink tip last year was fairly aggressive but I still struggled, especially when anchored, hence the experimentation with heavy eyes for this upcoming season. (In hindsight, my flies last year also had too much hair). I might also try a 30 ft T-14 line, with a 9 ft/sec sink rate. That more aggressive line could be fine with some 1/8 oz eyes but once I came across a couple bags of the 1/4 oz eyes I thought I would give them a try. I have some concern about trying to cast them (will be using a 9 wt) but hope its ok.

I cast left handed so, hopefully, I will be casting off the back of the boat and over the water (assuming my friend with a boat can make it this year). Fished it last year from my kayak. That was a struggle but Flyvet gave me tows back up stream so it was at least possible. (The current was probably around to 4-4.5 mph so it was slow progress when I tried to go upstream on my own power)

Cheers,

Aaron

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:50 am 
Brown Trout

Aaron,
The first two are fine in terms of length relative to hook size. If you wnat to hit that
3 1/2" - 4" size for the big girls in Weldon, you should tie that on the 2/0 stinger that you bought.

I think the red throat/gill is really nice. I'd definitely keep that.

I would reduce the thread wraps at the nose by 1/2. In other words, your last wrap of thread should be halfway back toward the hook eye from where it is now. That will put a slight arc in the hair coming over the eyeballs, which is what you want for a better profile. Don't worry about exposing more hair to fishy teeth. You're gonna coat all that with Loon Hard Head or epoxy anyway. (Aren't you?)

The amount of hair you're using is fine, though I wouldn't use more than that. You can make it sparser, but since you're imitating gizzard shad, a deep bodied baitfish, I think it's fine.

Here's one that I tied on a Mustad #3366, size 4:

Notice the slight arc as the hair lays over the eyeballs? A good rule of thumb is that your wraps in front of the eyes should never be more than half the distance between the back of the hook eye and the front of the eyeballs.

I'd fish any and all of those you showed us. Nice work!

Yer Pal,
Streamer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:40 am 
Rainbow Trout

They look good to me Aaron, mine are a little sparser but no problem. I think the red spot is a good idea, I'll have to incorporate it. I admit last year I also went with a cheap option in addition to my regular clousers. Since a lot of the flies are lost to snags I went to Bass Pro and bought a couple of boxes of jig heads of different weights and tied them up clouser style to use as a backup. The real heavy flies can be tough to cast sometimes, I have found using an oval cast with fairly open loop works well. I'm getting exited about this striper season there, I called the local tackle shop over there and asked if they thought the season would run a little late this year with the cold weather and he said no, the stripers usually show up the same regardless. Hey, this is my first post! I signed up last fall after you told me about it but my name must look like a spammer and fell through the cracks for awhile. Thanks, Allan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:28 pm 
Brown Trout

Allan, aka "Flyvet", nice to see you posting on here. Talk to you soon.

Allan wrote:
They look good to me Aaron, mine are a little sparser but no problem. I think the red spot is a good idea, I'll have to incorporate it. I admit last year I also went with a cheap option in addition to my regular clousers. Since a lot of the flies are lost to snags I went to Bass Pro and bought a couple of boxes of jig heads of different weights and tied them up clouser style to use as a backup. The real heavy flies can be tough to cast sometimes, I have found using an oval cast with fairly open loop works well. I'm getting exited about this striper season there, I called the local tackle shop over there and asked if they thought the season would run a little late this year with the cold weather and he said no, the stripers usually show up the same regardless. Hey, this is my first post! I signed up last fall after you told me about it but my name must look like a spammer and fell through the cracks for awhile. Thanks, Allan