southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Dumbbell Eyes Mold (Medium Model)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:09 am 
Brown Trout

I guess the Tool Designer and Cheap ass-ed genes are hard at it again this week. Been covering molding with my Engineering students as well. Got off on the quest for a dumbbell eye mold again. As with every good molding designing project I enlisted the Metals Teacher, Mr Joe Walker. He is a pretty accomplished practical Engineer in his own right. Did most of the mold design totally on his own after I shared the bullet mold and few other thoughts.

Started from the stand point of a bullet mold that has a shear to cut the spru and runner off.

Don't have pictures of the mold yet. Still refining. Here's some of the product.

Post subject: Re: Dumbbell Eyes Mold (Medium Model)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:42 pm 
Brown Trout

Those look pretty good Teach!! Probably a little tough to extract from the mold and some work sanding down the burs and such.....but at the prices in the fly shop...it might be worth it!! :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:47 pm 
Brown Trout

No burs. The mold is pretty tight and and the gate cutter clears the end without any extra steps.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:25 pm 
Brown Trout

Brad...I just saw the lines fom where the mold comes together and figured they had the potential to cut thread... :?:

years back I bought my dad about twenty on the fishing weight molds so he could pour fishing weights and sell them at the flea market (turns out he found a buyer for all he could make) ....and he made a tumbler that really cleans them up nicely and puts a shiny finish on them....

the other issue I see with your mold is that one side of the eye is the pour hole?? and will cause for an uneven eye. you would probably have to fix that by making an even eye inside the mold and clipping the stem left by the pour hole. It also helps to keep the molds hot while pouring....if they cool too much sometimes the lead will cool and clog up befoe completely filling the cavity.

not trying to knock anything....I like the idea....just trying to pass some tips :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:30 pm 
Brown Trout

I didn't take it as a knock :) I appreciate it.

How didn't you all make a tumbler. We were talking about fabricating something like that for both metal and plastic parts?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:47 pm 
Brown Trout

Brad...I honestly did'nt pay much attention to how he made it.....If I can remember...I'll try to get details next time I'm home...even a pic or two... I think he has some type of steel shot that goes in with the lead weights ...anything small and abrasive would work. My old man is like you....he throws nothing away....so there could be old dryer,microwave,car parts involved....who knows :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:16 pm 
Brown Trout

Could the old rotisserie motor trick work? You could use fine sand, pecan hulls, etc. Look at the abrasive medium they use to shine up brass shells to reload them. Or the stuff to shine stones. You can get a cheap stone tumbler occasionally. It needs to vibrate or spin. Looks good Brad.

To add. Is that red Fox on that streamer? I've got a hide and been playing with it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:58 pm 
Brown Trout

Think hard on a tumbler :)

It is red fox. I got it at the feather and lace place between Sylvia and Bryson City. Love that place for fox and coyote.

Foxy Red Clouser catch's a lot of fish for me.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:47 pm 
Brown Trout

Yeah I like it. I got mine under a tree stand in Mountain View. :o I've got another in the freezer I need to get out and salt. it makes a nice HE or would that be RFH, red fox hair. I've been saving the under fur but don't know what I will tie with it yet.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:39 am 
Brown Trout

Brad
I like the way you made the mold flat on the ends so that you are not trying to glue an eye on to a round surface.

Jason

Some of the really soft hair on a fox actually will "Swim" a little similar to polar craft hair (synthetic)

JT