southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: foam baitfish heads
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:51 am 
Brown Trout

were a flop....I tied one up just for bass....

thinking these would dive or swim under the surface a bit....but they just drag across the surface.....they definately need some added weight besides just the epoxy.....thankfully I did'nt tie up dozens :roll: They may still attract a gar....but are going to need some work to be anything more useful.

Post subject: Re: foam baitfish heads
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:57 am 
Smallmouth Bass

What about trying a sinking line? Might give you the effect you want, if you strip it right you might even get some float/dive action. That looks like a good size fly so you might need a pretty heavy line.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:13 am 
Brown Trout

red-haired-boy wrote:
What about trying a sinking line? Might give you the effect you want, if you strip it right you might even get some float/dive action. That looks like a good size fly so you might need a pretty heavy line.

AHH damn your a genius! :lol: honestly did'nt even think about trying it behind a sinking line.....I have a fairly heavy sink line and some of those add on sink tips....I'll have to give that a shot....of course it probably still won't be the thing for the pond....too much greenage on the bottom :twisted: but if that works...it might be good for other places.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:17 pm 
Brown Trout

Tom....Try this: Slide a tungsten bead onto the shank, tie on your body materials, and apply the foam head, tying it tight to the shank in front of the bead and tight to the front face of the bead. This will flare the head and create a "water pusher". With the weight pulling the front of the fly down, it will wobble and dart underwater. Almost creates a neutral buoyancy which keeps the fly in the strike zone for a looooong time.

Good Luck!

Yer Pal,
Streamer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:00 pm 
Brown Trout

My first reaction is to suggest tying it with a crease fly style head to push water.
Great looking flies as always OB

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:16 pm 
Brown Trout

Jule...I'm gonna try what Redhair boy suggested and try it behind a sinking line....it did'nt seem like it would have taken much to get it under.....and when I'm out on the road I'm gonna try a couple with some weight in the head like you suggested....I've tied a few deerhair bugs with weight in the head and heavily packed hair....they would go under and virtually stay at the depth to which you striped em'.....like you said "nuetral bouyancy" ....but how much weight is anyone's guess....I'm thinking coneheads?

I appreciate the input....I think I might start carrying a "test rod" on the truck again....its sucks tying flies and having to wait forever to see how they do in the water.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:31 pm 
Brown Trout

Here I was thinking of using a jig head and tying them in reverse. I don't think you want them down that deep, though. Maybe one of those 60 degree jig hooks?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:39 pm 
Brown Trout

Paul....I was really hoping for a shallow diver swimmy type fly....I'm also beginning to wonder if I'm over thinking fly tying sometimes....there are certain flies I won't bother with because they are too close to "spin fishing" and if thats the case....then I'll just use a spinning rod.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:46 am 
Brown Trout

Tom,

Try putting a slip sinker like a worm rig.

Good Luck.

flyfishn