southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Doves
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:57 pm 
Brown Trout

I will be in the coastal plain for the traditional pig pickin', dove shooting Labor Day weekend.
In the past I have seen suggestions that doves make good tying material. Who can give me some info about this? What should I save? I have heard that the traditional Yalla Hammer is tied using died dove as a substitute. Never tied one or fished one, but want to add that to my inventory. Anybody need some dove feathers? Let me know.
THANKS

Post subject: Re: Doves
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:27 pm 
Brown Trout

I have been scouting a couple of fields around Hartsville. I checked one yesterday that reminded me of the glory days down here. I bought more bullets.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:28 pm 
Brown Trout

Not a dove hunter. We just don't seem to have the folks some of you all do. They would be fun I think.

I have wanted to see if the breast feather would work for some small soft hackles. The coloration of the ones up here seem to be right for it. Or if nothing else legs on nymphs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:20 am 
Brown Trout

teachrtec wrote:
Not a dove hunter. We just don't seem to have the folks some of you all do. They would be fun I think.

I have wanted to see if the breast feather would work for some small soft hackles. The coloration of the ones up here seem to be right for it. Or if nothing else legs on nymphs.

Anything in particular you are looking for? Or just a wad of breast feathers? I'm headed to the field tomorrow. I saved some from last year but never messed with them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:39 am 
Brown Trout

I tried dove feathers last fall. The breast or neck feathers worked best for tiny wet fly hackles or legs. You basically end up with two shades of grey to tan/grey. I'm thinking the wing biots would make great nymph legs too if dyed to color. Tried the breast feathers for winging bwos, looked good but a little too soft it turns out.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:08 am 
Brown Trout

I saved back 4 mature doves from the Labor Day hunt and have them frozen whole. When I get the time I will skin and borax them.

The breast feathers do look really good to me for soft hackles. Never thought of using the biots.

I had originally thought of dying some of the materials to tie the classic Yaller Hammer.
But on some recent post somewhere I had seen someone poo poo the classic Smokey Mtn patterns, in essence saying that new materials make those patterns obsolete....at least that was my take on it. What ya'll think?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:25 am 
Brown Trout

Yella yammer still works....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:29 am 
Brown Trout

I think that's also like saying catskill patterns don't work anymore. :) I really like using tiny biots as legs on some nymphs, just makes it look a little more realistic to me and they are tougher than some other materials.
My opinion is if you have a material readily available it makes sense to utilize it and then reap the great reward of the satisfaction that comes from success with it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:45 am 
Brown Trout

headgear wrote:
I had originally thought of dying some of the materials to tie the classic Yaller Hammer.
But on some recent post somewhere I had seen someone poo poo the classic Smokey Mtn patterns, in essence saying that new materials make those patterns obsolete....at least that was my take on it. What ya'll think?

I wouldn't throw out the Smokey Mtn stuff just yet. I have had some great days with the old school stuff. Patterns wouldn't have existed long enough to get a reputation without success to back it up.

Yaller Hammers will surprise you if you give them a chance :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:45 pm 
Brown Trout

Some one Poo pooing the old smokey mtn patterns is an idiot.
Show me a nymph that will out perform a Blonde Tellico over a span of time. That fly is probably 100 years old. How many dries will out catch a Thunderhead in the creeks ??

JT