southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Hooks in bulk
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:13 am 
Rainbow Trout

I got some hooks from allenflyfishing about 5 weeks ago. I plan on ordering more. The nymph and curved hooks look sweet. He's got some scud hooks that are the same model as the Tiemco 2488. To me, these 2488 hooks are a little "thick" and sizes run a little big. That being said, I've caught fish on these hooks tied up as midges and nymphs. Selection right now is limited as he has about 10 styles with various sizes. They have a good bronze color. The cost of 1000 hooks delivered is $35.

Also, I got some leaders from knotjustflies.com . If you purchase less than 20 the cost is $1.10 and purchasing more than 20 the leaders are 90 cents. I used one for three full days last month without any issues. He's got some 15 ft 5x leaders which work well on some waters.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:50 pm 
Brown Trout

My opinion of hooks from Hagans is very good right now. Tied several patterns on the scud hooks. Hook fish, don't straighten any faster than other pricey brands. Ordered some more today :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:32 am 
Brown Trout

Great Find Brad :D . This is going to save me, Ralph and Mark a bunch of money because we are big fans of Dai-Riki hooks.

Exerpts from a post I found on the net..."these hooks are the same as Dai-Riki and the numbers associated with the hooks appears to be the same. Dai-Riki were originally
made in Japan, then I bought some from Byard that were made in Korea. Now
Hagen's are selling the same hooks in bulk at a very attractive price
whereas Byard ran into problems with Dan Bailey, the supplier of Dai-Riki
hooks because Byard was selling at less than the recommended retail price
and Byard dropped Dai-Riki as a result."

As to the Allen hooks, I got a bit put out with them last year because they represented their hooks on EBAY as TMC 2488s and TMC 100s....I bought a bunch and found out they were knock offs. They are so thick and heavy that I'm using them for steelhead flies...oops...eggs.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:58 pm 
Brown Trout

Blake,
Was that the Allen hook that you were tying eggs on when I was at your house a couple days ago :?:

Everybody is trying to find a bargain on hooks !!!!! Hello Yawl :!: :!: :!:
This board has the most experienced flyrodders on the planet. Veteran tyers :!: :!: :!:

Why in hell do we (us uns) try to get get bargain hooks :?: :?: There ain't no bargain hooks !!!! Dammit :!: :!: :!: When mogruntus bends a hook out straight, yo bargain thin wire junk shit has gone south :cry:

I realize that money is a factor in our lives ---- but there are companies (Shops) out there that will sell hooks at a reasonable cost. I buy every hook that I own from Bo Cash.
He sells the good Mustad hooks and the Knock Out Daiichi stuff. No hook failure for me :!: :!: :!:
Occasionally a big largemouth or a grunt smallie sucks up a bully. NEVER!!!! had a hook bend out.

Apologize for the rant :o

JT

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:38 am 
Brown Trout

Good point, JT. Over the past few years, I've found myself gravitating to more expensive hook myself, and I'm one of those poor fools that still thinks they can save money by tying their own flies. Even if you spend $5/box of 25, that's only 20 cents per hook. As Poor Richard used to say, "Penny wise, but pound foolish!"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:26 am 
Brown Trout

Is there any place that has done a quality comparison of different hooks? I would like to see some real data on what the difference in material strength and wire sizes are.