southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Latest of the Vice
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:26 pm 
Rainbow Trout

alright so after seeing some great tyers at the western north carolina expo, I decided that I would like to try my hand at a for real salmon fly, not really knowing what would come out of the fly tying room. I was actually very pleased with my results, and so I figured i would share it with yall for critique...

Insert Name Here:
Thread: UTC White 8/0 for body, UTC Black 8/0 for head
Tip: Fine Gold Wire
Tag: Burnt Orange Floss
Tail: Golden Pheasant Crest
Tail Veiling: Golden Pheasant Tippet
Butt: Black Ostritch Herl
Body: White Floss and Yellow Seal's Fur Dubbing
Rib: Fine Gold Wire
Hackle: Burnt Orange Saddle Hackle
Throat: Yellow Saddle Hackle
Wing: Golden Pheasant Tippet Feather with 2 Orange Saddle Hackles
Wing Veiling: Barred Wood Duck Flank
Horns: Singular Macaw Feather
Head Dressing: Black Nail Polish

Any Opinions and Critiques Wecome

Thanks,

Colin

Post subject: Re: Latest of the Vice
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:25 pm 
Brown Trout

Caleb and Plumbob better look out :o :mrgreen:

Nice tie Colin for a first go. No comments since I don't tie salmon flies... But I think it's a good lookin fly!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:59 pm 
Brown Trout

very nice Mr. C but a little too busy for my old eyes.There is so many parts I would forget where I was going next. :lol: :lol: Great start....... looking forward to the next page.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:48 pm 
Brown Trout

Thats pretty darn good. Salmon flies are a whole different world. Very Very strict when it comes to proportions. One thing I will comment on but I think you are already aware of is you can see the bump in the floss where the wire is running. Try to tie in wire and such on the bottom of the hook shank. If you do it on top or the sides it could create a bump that will effect tying on your wing or shoulders. On a display fly its best to have it slightly off the bottom and to the opposite side that you will see it from. Jus my 2 cents. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:05 pm 
Brook Trout

Good effort Colin!

You're asking me to critique? Now that's funny.

Cyberfish

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:48 pm 
Rainbow Trout

thanks plumbob, i'll take that into mind when i do my next one (never know when i'm gonna get the urge to spend 3 hours on a fly again haha). but i appreciate the advice a ton!

thanks, colin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:52 pm 
Warpaint Shiner

Take warning: tying flies that will never see water is a dangerous road to go down. Soon you'll be analyzing every fly you see and looking for ways to improve it. Every thread wrap becomes important to you; even on a hare's ear. Your trout boxes start to run low, but you have pretty little blue and purple and pink flies hanging all over your tying desk. It's a sickness, but it's a lot of fun and it improves your overall tying by leaps and bounds.

You're off to a great start, though. As plumbob said, find a way to hide your materials as you tie them in. I would also work on making sure your rib/hackle wraps stay even across the body of the fly. Yours look like they get tighter as they move forward. This may be cheating, but one of the few times I actually utilize my rotary vise is when doing ribs. It seems to give me more control over where the rib lays down. Then, of course, follow the now-well-spaced rib with the hackle. Nice floss work, by the way. Are you using silk or something like uni floss? You're off you a much better start than most.

Edit: there are some great step-by-steps posted over in the tying section at speypages. They encompass swung flies as a whole, rather than just salmon flies, but there's still a lot of opportunities for inspiration and learning.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:21 pm 
Brown Trout

C McStreamer wrote:
(never know when i'm gonna get the urge to spend 3 hours on a fly again haha).

thanks, colin

Yep, you always RUSH through the first one. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:23 pm 
Brown Trout

Wharf Rat wrote:
Take warning: tying flies that will never see water is a dangerous road to go down. Soon you'll be analyzing every fly you see and looking for ways to improve it. Every thread wrap becomes important to you; even on a hare's ear. Your trout boxes start to run low, but you have pretty little blue and purple and pink flies hanging all over your tying desk. It's a sickness, but it's a lot of fun and it improves your overall tying by leaps and bounds.

Yea, thanks a lot. Where were you 16 yrs ago. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:39 am 
Brook Trout

Colin you are making great progress and showing great promise. That is a great looking fly and the 2 or 3 minor things that have been suggested to your are from some of the best tiers I know of anywhere. You are so close to achieving a level that few of us will every know. I think one other thing to think about at this point is the type of thread you are using for the head and the type of head cement. One thing I always notice about the heads on these type of flies, they are flawless. Even if the thread wraps aren't perfect, the cement levels out and makes it look perfect. I think a flat nylon thread like UTC or Danville lays flatter and will give you a smoother head than Uni or some other bonded thread. Maybe Bob will give us some insight into what he uses?