It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: What does "with 3D eye" mean
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:45 pm 
Brown Trout

rivergeezer wrote:
overbrook wrote:
these dumbells.

I say, sir, is this anyway to talk about your fellow fly tyers?

Robert the Ever Polite

You know full well I have much more creative names for my friends than just "dumbells" ;)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:30 pm 
Brown Trout

Aaron.....these are'nt bullet proof either.....while they were "stuck" it did'nt take much to peel em' off.....about the same as everything else I've tried.....though this would be cheaper and aesier than some of the other things I've tried.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:39 pm 
Brown Trout

Ok, after you've installed the eyes, how about encasing them in a coat of epoxy or super glue? If the epoxy wraps around the end of the dumbbell, that should make it harder for them to work loose....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:50 pm 
Brown Trout

phg wrote:
Ok, after you've installed the eyes, how about encasing them in a coat of epoxy or super glue? If the epoxy wraps around the end of the dumbbell, that should make it harder for them to work loose....

Actually what I've found is that epoxy breaks free real easy....actually in this case they would probably be better with the t-shirt paint alone. Very little will stick to that smooth shiny surface....and what I believe happens in a lot of cases is that the tempeture change going in the cold water and back out etc. causes a very minor expansion or contraction ...just enough to allow whatever it is that you've stuck on there to break free of what little "seal" there was. If these things had a little bit of a lip that turned in I think that would solve the problem.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:09 pm 
Brown Trout

I have @ 90 gold and @ 90 nickel of the Spirit River I-Balz remaining in my inventory, described by the mfg as having a "permanent enamel iris and pupil set into recessed pockets." Here is a link: http://www.castersflyshop.com/onlinefly ... e&pID=1125

I find it almost inconceivable that there could ever be a more durable eye. They are awesome. If someone wants to get some lighter-weight models and trade for some of my 1/4 oz eyes, I am all game. I am extremely impressed with the product. However, I am simply over-stocked in the 1/4 oz weight class.

With respect to their stick on eyes, I sent Spirit River an e-mail to see if they have any suggestions for success. I find that their eye stickers actually fall off while the product s still in the packaging bag. Obviously, I am less impressed with this component of their product line up. I will forward their response to our group.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:33 pm 
Brown Trout

the problem I have with "eyebalz" is that the iris is so small ...the real eyes plus have the same ceramic insert but much larger eye with the same weight.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:07 am 
Brown Trout

overbrook wrote:
the problem I have with "eyebalz" is that the iris is so small ...the real eyes plus have the same ceramic insert but much larger eye with the same weight.

Looking at the description on line, it says "the colored iris and pupil are baked on and are guaranteed not to fall out." I wonder if self-baking the standard eyes would melt the decal and make it stick?

Are you holding out on us? http://www.docsflies.com/1q06.htm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:43 am 
Brown Trout

Christensen wrote:
Are you holding out on us? http://www.docsflies.com/1q06.htm

Dagnabbit......busted! :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:47 am 
Brown Trout

You guys really go around "baking" "painting" "gluing" and poking eyeballs? :o No wonder you all have the whole stream to your yourselves.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:03 am 
Brown Trout

You boys aren't even close. :shock: