southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Playin around
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:14 pm 
Brown Trout

Christensen wrote:
I know the journey is part of the appeal, and if money was the issue I would be buying better looking flies than I can string together from Caylor for about a buck a piece, but any idea how the price of a pellet compare to a Riverman special on cone heads?

Allow me to begin by wishing you a "Merry Christensen". The Riverman is a living legend and his flies are impeccably tied. So, like the Mona Lisa, how could one be so crass as to put a price on his creations? I can, however, tell you how my costs compare:

I can buy 50 lbs of Purina fish food and there are 300,861 pellets in the bag, for $28. When I attempt to tie something that a one-eyed starving trout might, during a particularly stressful period, actually try to eat, it usually takes me at least 3 hours. So, if I compare the time it takes me to tie a Slovic pseudo-nymph with what I charge per hour to edit writing submissions from editors, the horribly slapped together misshapen "fly" costs around $65 to $80. I do submit, dear reader(s) that the amount of money previously mentioned is nothing compared to how much a bamboo-rod using neurosurgeon casting to riffles and small pools could be making were he plying his art, instead of working his way upstream toward the rock I sit upon. Perhaps that is one of the attractions of fly fishing. Whether an App. State student who lives on very little or a successful psychiatrist who makes well into the six figures, we're all equal on the stream.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:39 pm 
Brown Trout

I think we all know a lot of my ideas are more 'see if I can' than cost :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:54 pm 
Brown Trout

rivergeezer wrote:
Allow me to begin by wishing you a "Merry Christensen".

Why thank you and Merry Christensen to you, as well. The holiday is a little-known precursor to Christmas, starting today (December 22). Traditionally, it begins at 6:30 pm with a glass of cheap bourbon (Old Charter), followed by a meal of barely-edible pot roast (new recipe from an ordinarily excellent cook), to be capped by subsequent tastings of cheap bourbon.

Most followers, however, skip the barely-edible pot roast. The holiday lasts through the end of December so feel free to enjoy cheap bourbon for a number of consecutive days.

Brad, good looking bug.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:12 pm 
Brown Trout

I have a box of .22 pellets that I picked up by accident several years ago (I though all pellets were .117). I think I've finally found a use for them....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:28 am 
Brown Trout

To keep with the spirit of the season in Washington DC, I'm combining Festus with Christensen in an effort to "reach across the aisle". I do hope good Jamaican dark rum can be substituted for the bourbon. And, yes, food is part of the traditional celebration(s), but to be in the spirit, the sipping of spirits is a spiritual thing for many of us.

Very well-tied bugger, Brad. And it's good to see that you are participating in the end of the 'don't ask don't tell' era by the gay colors of your exquisite fly. Let me know how that pattern works on trout. I know salt water fish would slam it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:31 pm 
Brown Trout

I believe the pellet modified into a cone will work in a pinch :)