southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Saltwater hooks
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:46 pm 
Brown Trout

Daiichi "saltwater" hooks (stainless) are thicker than the Stingers and perhaps they are stronger, as well. Obviously, they would be less prone to rust. But at twice the cost and at the rate I lose or generally mess up my flies, does it really matter? I have yet to catch the fish that will straighten out a Stinger and I don't really care if they fly has a limited lifespan. Do the saltwater guys always - or almost always - tie on "saltwater" hooks? If so, what advantages justify the significant difference in cost? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Saltwater hooks
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:08 pm 
Smallmouth Bass

Saltwater hooks (stainless steel) don't dissolve/corrode very quickly, which can be a lot worse for the fish if you end up leaving that hook in them ( ie have a knot break.)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:00 pm 
Brown Trout

When I fished saltwater a lot, I use the nickle plated hooks, rather than stainless steel. They're a lot cheaper, and good enough for most of the fish you'll ever encounter. I haven't done a lot of saltwater fly tying, but I've generally used the same hooks I'd use for bait fishing. They tend to be 2xl of 3xl anyway.

Also, RHB makes a good point. If you do break off, you want the hook to dissolve fairly quickly. I'm told a standard hook will only last about 2 weeks in a saltwater fish's mouth.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:52 pm 
Brown Trout

If your going to use standard hooks for your salt water flys you better hose down the ones you used with fresh water afterwards. Seen many a fly be useless when you go to use it the next time.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:33 pm 
Warpaint Shiner

I have had hooks ruin overnight.If you do use regular hooks dont put them in a flybox afterwards and wash the set at night.Otherwise think of them as disposable.
Goodluck

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:02 am 
Rainbow Trout

I have both stainless steel and nickel plated hooks in my supply of saltwater hooks. I prefer to use the coated hooks ( I use a lot of Gamakatsu black coated hooks) because they are sharper and stronger. I'm not a metallurgist but most alloys composing stainless steel are not as strong as more conventional alloys. When buying bolts etc. for trailers or whatever the stainless are not as strong per cross section as Grade 5 or 8 bolts, etc. I also believe the temper of the stainless doesn't allow the sharpness of other alloys. On the other hand I wouldn't use plain freshwater hooks in the salt, they will rust very quickly. After using the fly in saltwater, I try to leave it out of the box until rinsed and thoroughly dry before putting it back in the flybox. (actually I don't put wet freshwater flies back in the box until dry either) For instance, that collection of Clousers I have for the Roanoke are mostly freshwater streamer hooks or jig hooks which I keep separate from the clousers for saltwater.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:08 am 
Brown Trout

Interesting comments - I appreciate everyone's knowledge on the topic.

I have been using Gamakatsu black nickel-coated hooks (Stingers). However, I was second guessing how well suited they were for exposure to salt environments. (They are stocked directly below the "salt" series of Gamakatsu hooks at the store so that got me wondering if my choice was adequate for my occasional visits to salt).

Like everything, I suppose there are pros and cons. I like the pro of "1/2 the cost" so I will keep tying my flies on the Stinger hooks, at least for the most part. (But will rinse them good when I am done).

Allan, I tied up a dozen Tuti Fruiti Clousers this weekend on size 4 Stingers, using lighter eyes but keeping the hair especially sparse. Hopefully, they will dive deep at Roanoke.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:01 pm 
Brown Trout

Aaron....I'm assuming when you say "stinger" hooks you're talking about the B10S ...its a great hook...and as others have mentioned just be sure to rinse them well before putting them out to dry. The biggest reason I choose stainless in many situations is because of the style and size of hook needed for a particular pattern.... I don't worry about the hook in a fishes jaw and how fast it corrodes away cause fish don't eat my flies anyway :twisted: