southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Round 2: The Continental Army
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:29 am 
Rainbow Trout

plumbob,

thankyou so much for the tutorial on the tip, tag and butt of the fly. I had seen the techniques described briefly in some magazines and online articles, but seeing it done step by step with the pictures is incredibly helpful. on my next one i'll do my best to keep your advice in mind regarding these things

thanks again to everyone for the kind words and critiques

Colin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:46 pm 
Brown Trout

Colin ... I thought it was pretty impressive....but I don't tie stuff like that.....listen to Plumbob and you will surely do nothing but improve. While i have no interest in tying these flies...I sure do enjoy seeing them and I thought this one was pretty (if I'm allowed to say that).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:38 pm 
Warpaint Shiner

Lookin good Colin. 8-) And, wow I see Bob has now made the leap into the dark world of salmon flies... I was wondering when it was going to happen. Just kidding Bob, but that's the first time I have seen a photo of a salmon hook in your vice. :o Kidding aside, that is a great tutorial! I learned some stuff too. I never thought of making a full wrap of stripped hearl stem before beginning the hearl. Excellent.

Caleb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:18 pm 
Brown Trout

LOL, all right Caleb this is one I tyed up way before you even learned how to ride a two wheel bike. Took a three day course up in Mass. with Ron Alcott and this is what took three days to do. I'm sure a good salmon fly tyer could rip into it but the bugs already have. Jc has been nibbled away and so has the GP tippets in the under wing, the crest has no color now because of age. Was surprised I was able to find this thing still. Colin the head shape on this I will say is pretty good and is what you want to try to get. Both you guys have the talent to do these things but what you really have to learn is the proportions that goes into tying them. The book by Alcot called " Building Classic Salmon Flies" is a good one to start with. A lot of others out there but most get into real complicated designs. I would like to see one of you two get into these. You don't need a lot of expensive materials to do them and if you do a hair wing instead of a feather wing you could cut costs even more. Most costly thing you would have starting out is a JC neck which if you don't get a high grade could still be afordable. Keep at it Colin and if you ever get a chance to come up this way for the tying symposium in Jersey I can introduce you to a couple of the best salmon tyers in the world who would take the time to show you some things.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:24 am 
Warpaint Shiner

Well maybe Colin can take them up... I need to wait till I have a little more time and money on my hands. :lol: