southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: crawdaddy
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:03 pm 
Brown Trout

How much do crawfish vary in color based on whether the water is muddy or clear? I fished the Yadkin in late summer. That river is never particularly clear. Visibility was probably something like 10 inches, or thereabout. The smallies were all over a relatively dark brown crawdad pattern:

http://caylorcustomflies.com/Store/inde ... ductid=144

It would be interesting to tie some of your pattern without the hackle on the tail. I would be very curious to hear whether that extra motion helps the bite.

My limited skill set has not taken me to crawdads, but I might have to start soon. I am getting smallie fever after catching a few last year.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:43 pm 
Brown Trout

I would say that the bottom conditions determines the color rather than the water clarity.I think that only the molt will change color tones .I'm trying to get some meat for the winter deep water runs and hope these will work.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:17 pm 
Brown Trout

I don't know this other than second hand information thru a friend who guided for smallmouth, crawfish change color all during the month and molt like crabs. Somebody who knows better confirm or deny for me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:03 am 
Brown Trout

As far as color, I've seen them an electric blue. Maybe you need a few of those! :lol: I have yet to tie a good crawfish. Seen some good ones though. Here's my speedy weighted super fast crawdad on wheels! VROOOM!! :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:23 am 
Brown Trout

I think Overbrook ties about the best I've seen but I have to be a little more simple on my attempts!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:47 am 
Brown Trout

I saw Bob Clouser jr. tie a really good one, a couple of weeks ago. I was going to fup on it, but unfortunately, their WEB site is more of a marketing tool than a source of information. The thing I have problems with is the shell back. Crayfish have a smooth, shiny back. Swiss Straw or even Thin Skin could be used. Bob's had a fat carapace and a tail that was nicely segmented.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:57 am 
Brown Trout

I'm leaning more to the action of the claws to create the attention for the brownies.The rabbit moves on its own and creates a lot of attention.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:08 am 
Brown Trout

The one I tie has a ribbed carapace of Swisstraw.

If that's the look you want, Peewee, just cut a length of the Swiss straw and flatten it out (it's sorta rolled up on the card), and tie it in at the antennae tie-in point. Now tie in a copper or orange wire rib. Take your thread in wide and tight wraps to the tail (hook eye) area. Now pull the swiss straw over your dubbed body, tie it off at the tail, then rib the carapace to the hanging thread, and tie off the swiss traw and rib. Done

I'll try to tie and post one tonight or tomorrow night.
Better yet, I'll get Colin to do it. :D

Finally, Smoke, yer bug will fish just fine as is, but winter is the time for tweaking even good flies, right?

Yer Pal,
Streamer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:51 am 
Brown Trout

I tie up something very similar to fleming but I do add antenna and some hackle for action. I leave my pinchers a little longer and I do the double dumbbells as well. Chuck and get the hell down is a good term for it. I have had some good days on small fish on this fly. Never caught anything big but it could be the location.

Do note that I posted a picture of this fly on the other board and got responses like ‘You have to be kidding me?’. So don’t be showing it around if you want to keep up your rep.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:03 pm 
Rainbow Trout

This may help with the color question.

Attachments:
crayposter.jpg
crayposter.jpg [ 160.74 KB | Viewed 1302 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next