southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Tips for handling small materials (size 20 and smaller)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:53 pm 
Brown Trout

Because of the gracious and patient sage advice of more experienced fellow anglers I am sold on the huge benefit of tung-beaded midges and nymphs. They get down quick. I think the figure is somewhere between 20-30% faster. AND when my drag-free zone may be only 10 feet I want my bug in the zone as quick and as long as possible.

Also with my, at best, erratic casting style when rigged up with indicator and double nymphs at longer ranges I do not want one more moving piece on my leader/tippet. I try to stay away from adding split shot and thus one more complication to what I am trying to cast/present. Indicator, two nymphs AND split shot mean too many "do overs" and thus lost fishing time. I need to keep it simple. I HATE "do overs". :cry:

I know I have used tung beads that marry up nicely to #24 size midges. I have never added beads to hooks smaller than #24. I think the ones for #24 are 1.0.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:22 am 
Brown Trout

Great thread. Never thought about using tape and will try that next time. I typically use a pair of small tweezers or mash it in my finger. Plumbob's recent suggestion looks good, but I don't have the cabinet space :D

I'll second tungsten beads on midges. They are great especially on slower moving water. Fast moving you can forget about it unless you are using a heavy lead fly or lots of lead and casting lots of lead is my least favorite type of fishing. Would rather use a heavily weighted stonefly as the lead.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:54 am 
Brown Trout

Geeez, after reading all these comments, I've come to the conclusion that I have been doing it all wrong all those fishing trips to the SoHo. It really has me excited knowing the number of fish I might catch using all these nifty techniques.

Just to let folks know, I do use split shot most of the time and I use it on 7X and have used it on 8X as well. The shot has never caused me a problem. It doesn't take a lot of shot to get the job done. Adding and taking shot off can get you to the fish a lot quicker than weighted flies. I guess I should also add that I am out of JT's camp when it comes to weighting flies. I weight very few flies at all. Split shot can get your fly to the fish and for me is way more versatile than heavy flies.

I do like Theron if I'm going to be tying small flies with beads, glass or tungsten, prepare all the hooks with beads before tying, using the press with the finger method. Works for me for the few beaded flies I tie.

Great thread!

Ralph :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:16 pm 
Warpaint Shiner

There have been so many suggested solutions for handling small beads and hooks that I figured one more won't hurt. I too have lost too may small hooks and beads into the cluttered desk and carpet in my tying area. I finally found a solutiion that works and works quickly. I have an old hackle pliers with a fairly small tip. It will easily hold down to a size 26 hook tightly and steady and leaves plenty of room for working a bead onto the hook. For the bead I use a strong reverse action tweezers (came as part of a set of useful tweezers from Lowes for $1.99). It will hold a bead tightly, and I have no problems down to a size 26. Pick up your hook in the pliers and position it to take on the bead. Position the bead on a flat surface with the side you want to slip first over the hook pointing down and then pick it up. Slide the bead onto the hook in the pliers and you are done. I set up many of these at once very quickly and I no longer drop them or have them go flying into who knows where never to be seen again. I find it quicker and easier than the other methods but, whatever works best for you is the best method.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:03 pm 
Brown Trout

flyfish4 fun wrote:
There have been so many suggested solutions for handling small beads and hooks that I figured one more won't hurt. I too have lost too may small hooks and beads into the cluttered desk and carpet in my tying area. I finally found a solutiion that works and works quickly. I have an old hackle pliers with a fairly small tip. It will easily hold down to a size 26 hook tightly and steady and leaves plenty of room for working a bead onto the hook. For the bead I use a strong reverse action tweezers (came as part of a set of useful tweezers from Lowes for $1.99). It will hold a bead tightly, and I have no problems down to a size 26. Pick up your hook in the pliers and position it to take on the bead. Position the bead on a flat surface with the side you want to slip first over the hook pointing down and then pick it up. Slide the bead onto the hook in the pliers and you are done. I set up many of these at once very quickly and I no longer drop them or have them go flying into who knows where never to be seen again. I find it quicker and easier than the other methods but, whatever works best for you is the best method.

Good to see you here Sir! I see the motto " they'll let any one in " still applies :mrgreen: :mrgreen: It only took a few months for a post out of ya.... :lol:

Pull up a log and stay a while, this camp fire is a good one.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:57 pm 
Brown Trout

This thread proves the point that there is no such thing as a stupid question among fishing friends.

I appreciate everyone's input and have gained more tying knowledge from the responses than my wildest imagination would have allowed. Thank you to everyone and please keep it coming.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:46 pm 
Brown Trout

flyfish4 fun wrote:

The didn't have reverse tweezers at Lowe's today, or at least the people I talked to didn't know where there were. Surprisingly, Michael's didn't have them, either. Nor did Blackhawk Hardware (the local hardware store known for having everything.) So then I drove to Harbor Freight - they have all kinds of stuff. In fact, they had a couple to choose from. I bought these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece-fi ... _adv=15000

They are a bit large, but seem to work well. I also like the slide lock tweezers that came in the set.

Finally, I get annoyed at always misplacing my screwdrivers so I bought two 32-piece sets (one for in the house and one for the garage) - $5.99 each, with a case. I love Harbor Freight stores.

http://www.harborfreight.com/32-piece-s ... 90764.html