southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tips for handling small materials (size 20 and smaller)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:15 pm 
Brown Trout

I just tie big honkin stuff....its hard to lose a 3/0 stinger hook on the floor. :shock:

I like small needle nose pliers ( you can keep a much tighter grip on the hook than with tweezers ) and usually just smoosh my finger against a bead....but I like Cybers tape isea too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:17 pm 
Smallmouth Bass

Try having a white plate beneath what you are doing so it can catch the beads or hooks as the fall, if the bead bounces off the plate put a paper towel on it. The rims of the plate help keep stuff from falling on the floor.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:47 pm 
Brown Trout

overbrook wrote:

I like small needle nose pliers ( you can keep a much tighter grip on the hook than with tweezers )

So the bead can fly away farther when it slips out? ;)

I use tweezers made for beads. They have a depression in them that holds the bead in place without a lot of undo pressure plus they have a sliding band gizmo that locks the bead in place (which I never use)
With the beads in a tray it's easy to spot and pick the beads up that are oriented with the countersunk hole up then place it over hook point that is also pointed straight up.

Last edited by Peddler on Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:00 pm 
Brown Trout

Peddler wrote:
overbrook wrote:

I like small needle nose pliers ( you can keep a much tighter grip on the hook than with tweezers )

So the bead can fly away farther when it slips out? ;)

I use tweezers made for beads.

Hey, Peddler . . . where might a fella get such a fancy pair of tweezers? I was tweezering earlier today with some fancy pair of girl-sort-of-tweezers but was still dropping beads. :oops:

EDIT: I think I found what you are talking about. http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=42Y2. Again, good information. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:20 pm 
Brown Trout

Have a question on a 20 or smaller nymph with a bead. Why? I don't fish nymphs that much if ever but any beaded ones aren't smaller then a 14. Wouldn't it be easyer and maybe give a pattern that small a more realistic float if you just put some shot on your leader? Would just like to here the thoughts behind it as I haven't a clue. I can understand plastic ones to show a bubble but I'm talking weighted.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:40 pm 
Brown Trout

Mr Bob hope all is well up your way.I'm not the one probably to explain this but to me I want the smaller midge to get down in the water column. The thing is so light that it has trouble breaking through the film so the weight just helps it down TO WHERE THE FISH LIVE. :D :D :D If the fish are on the top eating the emergers --sometime you can treat all but the last few inches of the tippet and let is dangle just under the surface film. Ok maybe one of the real fishermen will jump in here. .Be safe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:43 pm 
Brown Trout

plumbob wrote:
Have a question on a 20 or smaller nymph with a bead. Why? I don't fish nymphs that much if ever but any beaded ones aren't smaller then a 14. Wouldn't it be easyer and maybe give a pattern that small a more realistic float if you just put some shot on your leader? Would just like to here the thoughts behind it as I haven't a clue. I can understand plastic ones to show a bubble but I'm talking weighted.

Fair question and it seems to track the JT school of thought. I am tying for the South Holston and the Davidson. With perhaps some exception, the trout in both of these rivers (at least from my own limited experience) seem to prefer extremely small bugs - perhaps smaller than 20s on many days - and weighted flies seem to do the trick, for lack of a more eloquent explanation.

I don't like to crimp weights to fine tippett (6x or 7x in some cases) but admittedy, there are pros and cons to each approach.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:52 pm 
Brown Trout

Christensen wrote:
plumbob wrote:

Fair question and it seems to track the JT school of thought. I am tying for the South Holston and the Davidson. With perhaps some exception, the trout in both of these rivers (at least from my own limited experience) seem to prefer extremely small bugs - perhaps smaller than 20s on many days - and weighted flies seem to do the trick, for lack of a more eloquent explanation.

I don't like to crimp weights to fine tippett (6x or 7x in some cases) but admittedy, there are pros and cons to each approach.

Didn't think about the finer tippett, that actually makes sense to me.
Peewee I still likes to catch em when they come up for air, but that ol Mr. Ralph has got me to like fishin them softhackles every now and then.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:21 am 
Brown Trout

The other reason is just flash. A bright, sparkley bauble in front of the nymph sometimes seems to help. I have fished small bead heads that floated. I remember. once, putting a size 20 or 22 Zebra midge on as a dropper under a dry fly, and I never could get that thing to sink!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:56 am 
Brown Trout

phg wrote:
The other reason is just flash. A bright, sparkley bauble in front of the nymph sometimes seems to help. I have fished small bead heads that floated. I remember. once, putting a size 20 or 22 Zebra midge on as a dropper under a dry fly, and I never could get that thing to sink!

I understand the reason behind using beads, its just when you start going to 20 and smaller it seems that for weight anyways, it would be a waste because the size of the bead if in porportion with the hook wouldn't be heavy enough to really amount to anything. I could see using a smaller one as a dropper off a larger more heavily weighted nymph, if regs allow.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next