southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tips for handling small materials (size 20 and smaller)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:19 am 
Rainbow Trout

What I have found to work good is a pair of hemostats. You can buy them with very fine tips and they lock on the bead. As the peddler said then the hook in the vice with the hook pointing up and just slide the bead on past the barb.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:26 am 
Brown Trout

What I'm saying is that you are correct. Even a tungsten bead isn't heavy enough to sink a small fly.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:34 am 
Brown Trout

phg wrote:
What I'm saying is that you are correct. Even a tungsten bead isn't heavy enough to sink a small fly.

but, but, but... won't that bead help the midge break the surface film?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:22 pm 
Rainbow Trout

Aaron, here are some tools I use to handle beads, etc. I included the hackle plier to compare size. Most forceps like hemostats don't seem to work very well, the beads pop out, especially with narrow tweezers. These forceps are called needle drivers or needle holders (like the one you got from me except these are smaller). These narrow jaws work pretty well mostly because they have carbide jaw inserts that have very fine teeth or cross-hatching. The last photo is a tweezer like instrument called a Russian thumb forcep. It's jaws are much too large for small beads but work great for larger ones. I admit I don't tie many tiny flies, maybe you need to take me to the S. Holston and show me how to use them. If you want any of these instruments or others let me know.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:00 pm 
Brown Trout

Phil wrote:
My technique on flies 20 and smaller --

Spend 20 minutes trying get a bead on the hook, lose about 10 beads and few hooks, try to tie the little sucker, break the thread when trying to whip finish, throw it all away in disgust, put all my fly tying stuff away (again), and order some little flies. :D

Three weeks later, notice the cat trying to bring up the biggest hairball ever. Faintly remember losing a hook or twelve. After another couple of days go by and you are standing in front of a vet being told how they will go in and remove the hook they just saw on he Xray. Good news is that since it is so small, they can bring it back out the way it went in. Vet asks if you know how big the hook might be but doesn't understand when you say size 26 and then you ask if he saw a bead in there as well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:17 pm 
Smallmouth Bass

Allan wrote:

that looks like the table by the dental chairs- in hell.
:o :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:17 pm 
Brown Trout

Allan wrote:
Aaron, here are some tools I use to handle beads, etc. I included the hackle plier to compare size. Most forceps like hemostats don't seem to work very well, the beads pop out, especially with narrow tweezers. These forceps are called needle drivers or needle holders (like the one you got from me except these are smaller). These narrow jaws work pretty well mostly because they have carbide jaw inserts that have very fine teeth or cross-hatching. The last photo is a tweezer like instrument called a Russian thumb forcep. It's jaws are much too large for small beads but work great for larger ones. I admit I don't tie many tiny flies, maybe you need to take me to the S. Holston and show me how to use them. If you want any of these instruments or others let me know.

Allan, the needle drivers could be the ticket. (The tweezers I was using certainly are not the correct tool).

Lets plan on hitting the SoHo once the beads come in. Maybe Blake and/or some of the other good folks up that way will be kind enough to clue us in on the fly de jour for that time of the year. I would be a disappointing guide, mostly getting by on the blind squirrel/nut principle, but hopefully pleasant enough company.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:55 pm 
Brown Trout

Learned a lot from this so far :) I don't tie #20 or smaller midges without a tungsten bead.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:03 pm 
Brown Trout

plumbob wrote:
I understand the reason behind using beads, its just when you start going to 20 and smaller it seems that for weight anyways, it would be a waste because the size of the bead if in porportion with the hook wouldn't be heavy enough to really amount to anything. I could see using a smaller one as a dropper off a larger more heavily weighted nymph, if regs allow.

I would have agreed till I tried using tungsten beaded stripper nymphs fished under a dry fly or tiny indicator in slower currents. Thanks to some folks here for that great tip. The bead then makes one heck of a difference and was my first experience with tungsten beads. The weight is entirely the difference in my opinion. I fish lead above flies alot too but its for a different presentation where I want the fly to move.

I haven't seen anyone else mention it but I do three things when using tiny beads and tying.
#1- I wear reading glasses (and I don't need them to read).
#2- I'll wet the tip of my finger as it helps me pick up a bead easier.
#3- I prep the whole batch of hooks I intend to tie at a sitting with beads at one time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:38 pm 
Brown Trout

Forgot that I had this in one of my cabinets, he works great with all the small stuff.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next