southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: a few from the weeknd
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:36 pm 
Brown Trout

Tom nice looking flies. The one thing I know Enricho would say is your using to many fibers. Took a class with him years ago and he was pretty much giving everybody hell for using to much material. Here's the fly he tied at the class, you pretty much can see through the fibers until the very front of the head. Croaker hope this helps its the tying instructions he gave out in the class.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:21 pm 
Smallmouth Bass

Thank you

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:52 pm 
Brown Trout

Ditto what Kyle said. I tried my first EP fly a few nights ago and used way to much material. Looked like a mophead on a hook... Goal is to tie a EP fly that looks like a bluegill. I fish a bass pond and everytime I hook a bluegill some big bass start circling it like a shark and eventually they try to eat the blue gill. Pretty cool to watch.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:19 pm 
Brown Trout

Great info. Plumbob. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:28 pm 
Brown Trout

Thanks Plumbob!

I'll set ya up with a Cheerwine or two in Shady Valley...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:23 pm 
Brown Trout

Plumbob...you're right on the money with what I had heard....the one thing I will say is that I am tying these for billres and what I've read of snook suggest bigger meatier flies for around bridges and piers...and thinner sparser flies for under lights or in clear water....as I mentioned...I planned on tying some much smaller and sparser....and more "cigar" shaped .... my fear...and the reason that I did'nt tie too many is that I have'nt had a chance to try these....they would seem to me that they would lay on thier side....but I was also told that the bigger thicker ones will push water.....beats me.....I plan to try them out in a day or two....to at least se how they ...and a few other flies like the deadhead minnow perform.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:40 pm 
Brown Trout

9 or 10 years ago Enrico was at the Charlotte fly fishing show doing a presentation 'up close and personal' at a small tying table. I somehow ended up with a one-on-one lesson from him and remember him stressing over and over again that his flies were tied sparse, or as JT might say, 'Mo less material'!
One trick he used was to have a small piece of the hook side of Velcro stuck on his pedestal to hold the fibers he wasn't using. I use that Velcro to hold all sorts of stuff.
Anyhow, if my Enrico-type flies turned out half as nice as yours, Tom, I would still be tying them!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:59 am 
Brown Trout

O.K. after battling with my new computer all day to get it to pull video off of my camera....I finally figured out I had to download quicktime.....I hate computers!

Anyway.....I took a few flies out for a test run of the end of the dock....and I was pleasantly surprised...actually impressed with the puglisi flies. First let me start by saying these flies may not be as bulky as they appear....they are actually pretty thin and translucent in the rear 2/3rds of the fly....and even in the directions that Plumbob posted it says that they are thin in the back and get a little thicker up front....and I was told to tie them even a little thicker so they push more water.....I think what it boils down to is that these can be tied in a range of thicknesses lengths and shapes to suit your needs or desires....I really would'nt personally say there is only one right way to tie them. I've seen some of the puglisi flies tied for pike and musky that make mine look dainty in comparison.

I put them in the water and they swim beautifully....they don't lay on thier side as I feared they might....this material actually soaks up water and the fly goes down easy with no aditional weight....and sheds about 90 % of the water when false cast.I was really impressed with the way they swam in the water.....they have a very "whippy" tail....though it may be hard to see in the video.

Now that I have firgured out how to capture video ....I will try to do a tying video demonstration to elaborate or better explain a few things in addition to the directions Plumbob posted.

As far as the Deadhead minnows....I was'nt quite as thrilled....they do swim really well....however they need additional weight to get them down...even a few turns of lead might help....or they would be good behind a heavy grain sinking line.....but in order to get them down....I had to hold them under water and squeeze the air out of the head.....once done...they swam pretty nicely too....the other thing is that I think I put a tad too much flash and streamer hair in the tail.....if either of these two flies is too bulky it was the Deadhead minnow.

Anyway....heres a short video clip of the puglisi fly......

http://vimeo.com/18984045

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:53 pm 
Brown Trout

O.K. well I did a tutorial this morning where I tied this fly....

Unfortunately after spending nearly 5 hours trying to upload it to vimeo it said I have exceeded my weekly limit....and its a bit too large for photobucket and youtube.... its about 17 minutes long.....(edit) I just tried to e-mail it and that did'nt work either...it said not enough memory (edit) I really suck at computer stuff :(

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:06 am 
Brown Trout

I've just about given up on the idea of posting this video I made....its just a little too long at 17 minutes ( I'll have to remember to be quicker next time :roll: ) .

I've offered to burn a dvd for a few of those who asked about it in the thread....and if there is anyone else who is really interested in these I'd be happy to send ya a copy....I don't wanna make a hundred copies...but if your honestly interested in watching it...I'll make ya a copy...and then maybe a few of ya can pass it on or something??

just send me a P.M. with your address