southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: EP Fly Round 2
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:54 pm 
Brown Trout

This one came out a bit better. Still needs a little work on the body. A few more and I should have it. Any advice is welcome. Thanks again Overbrook!

Post subject: Re: EP Fly Round 2
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:49 pm 
Brown Trout

I'll let Tom critique it. What I want to know is where you plan on using them... huh? 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:39 am 
Brown Trout

Jeff....I would say trim a little more here....

then hold your fingers over the head leaving just the eye exposed and run a lighter past the eye of the hook to get rid of those little stray fibers.....and you got a good fly! I think you got the thickness in the tail and head just about right....trim it up just a little more and then throw that one in the water....I think your gonna like it! :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:39 am 
Brown Trout

Cool. Once I posted that pic, I went back and removed the top hump. Good call on the lighter. Thanks!

Jack, there is a small pond by my house that has a very healthy bass population. I'd you get there at sunrise the action is perverted until about 8. There are several is the 5-6 lb range that sit right off this ledge, but they will not hit any streamer I through at them. Although, if you catch a bluegill they start circling it like sharks. I'm thinking that an EP fly might be the ticket. Also, planning a musky trip in WV and want to have some throw big EP flies at them

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:15 am 
Brown Trout

JFey wrote:
There are several is the 5-6 lb range that sit right off this ledge, but they will not hit any streamer I through at them. Although, if you catch a bluegill they start circling it like sharks.

Jeff...not to butt in on the conversation.....ahhh what the hell...I'm gonna butt in...LOL

Have ya tried throwing something like a crawdad or hairworm and letting it sit just a few feet away from them.....let it sit....for a long time (I'm talkin like ten minutes) until it appears that they have forgotten about it....then twitch it?? Usually stubborn bass like that ...that won't seem to hit a passing fly or lure....will hit something like that out of aggression or territorial response. Its painful to just sit there for that long...but trust me it works the majority of the time.You could probably do it with the EP fly too....cast it past them let it sink to the bottom...eat some lunch...then come back and give it a few strips. :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:51 am 
Brown Trout

I haven't tried that exactly, but close. I've bounced a crawdad pattern across the bottom in slow strips, but haven't let it sit there for a long time and come back to it, but I will be trying that once the water warms up a bit. Pretty much every fish in that pond will hit white bunny strip streamer or a bully, except for the big boys.

Look for some pics this spring!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:57 am 
Brown Trout

Yeah....seriously....try it once....what you'll see is that the fish seem to relate anything dropping into the water as non-food.....they'll ignore it completely....but if you let it sit on the bottom....just sit and watch them cruise back and forth....let em' do it for a good while....then as they are headed towards it....give it a short strip or two....they'll either bolt away...or attack it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:49 am 
Brown Trout

Jeff,

This tactic is called " dead sticking ". Damned annoying method of fishing if you ask me,but it works at times. I would not waste that much time on any bass unless it weighed 8-10 lbs.

In the big lakes right after they spawn, the large females will sometimes bunch up in packs of 3-8 fish and just cruise around (sick from spawning). I move ahead of them about 50 feet and throw a tube bait (gitzit) on to the bottom and wait till they get to it and then snatch it up off the bottom right into their faces and will get an "instinct" strike sometimes.

JT

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:57 pm 
Brown Trout

Jeff, I'd be willing to bet your using a pair of fly tying scissors to trim the top and bottom. Try using a pair of barber scissors with a long blade. It will give you a nice clean even cut the whole length with one cut. The smaller blades on tying scissors you have to make multiple cuts which will tend to make it look uneven.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:38 am 
Brown Trout

Plum,

Pretty good tip right there,sir . I take it that you have tied B/4 ? :mrgreen:

JT