southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Flash dancer lessons
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:20 pm 
Brown Trout

Friends, I would appreciate your observations, suggestions, comments, criticisms and jokes.

I am wondering about issues such as the following:
- best head profiles and shapes (this one seems more like a diver and might be too wide)
- pros and cons in terms of experience/effectiveness of different head shapes (I have noticed that some people tie a blunt head and others ties them thinner like a pencil).
- general proportions
- problems with the wing
- do stick on eyes really help or are they only cosmetic (seems like they are mostly out of the fish line of sight.
- comments and suggestions on the color combo.
- whether I need to find some other wrap for the body before I get too far with that white chennile.
- whether I brought the chennile far enough forward.

This is my first somewhat-hurried effort at a flash dancer without anyone looking over my shoulder. I won't say who had been looking over my shoulder before in order to protect the innocent. However, he-whose-identify-will-be-protected is most welcome to hurdle comments of disgust and indignation at these efforts.

Fire away, if you are so inclined. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Flash dancer lessons
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:05 pm 
Brown Trout

Looks like the ones I tye. They will catch fish.
Eyes optional. Be very, very careful with the old double edge razor blades :shock: Some of mine have blood stains on 'em ;) .
Color combos are unlimited. The collar and head can be trimmed on purpose or accidentally to vary the crippled/injured baitfish action.

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:35 am 
Brown Trout

Before I say anything....mind you...these are only my personal opinions.

I think you took a little too much out here.....

play with different thicknees of the head in terms of how tightly you pack the hair...and in adding a little weght......I had it down pretty much to a neutral bouyancy which I liked....they would dive down when stripped and when you stopped ...the fly would literally stay suspended at that point.

use some red cactus chenile or estaz in place of the white....I firmly believe red is a trigger.

I'm also a big believer in eyes....my theory is they don't hurt anything...but I can all but assure you if a fish does see the eyes on the fly....it will help.....and the bigger the better!
but I had flies....especially the Dr. Death where the eyes had fallen off...and it still caught fish.

a little streamer hair blended with that flashabou would'nt hurt either.

Overall damn good first attempt!! If'n you find yourself in need of those double sided razor blades....I think I might just have a couple extra ;) :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:17 am 
Rainbow Trout

Good job. I think eyes are a useful trigger. In hair or other packed material, I use the same technique that I use on Puglisi flies. Burn a hole with a small cautery, place a glob of Goop glue in the hole with your bodkin, cut off most of the stem of the plastic eye and push it into the Goop. Try to do it right over the hook shank. You can go to Enrico's website, pay to join the subscription to view his tying videos. He sells all the items you need like cauteries but I can get them for you too. We use them in ophthalmic surgeries some.

Post subject: Flash dancer lessons tutorial from Streamer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:49 am 
Brown Trout

http://www.southeastflyfishingforum.com ... 22927.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:58 pm 
Brown Trout

I tied this one with a bigger head than normal for night fishing so that it pushes a lot of water.

Here's the one from the tutorial:

Here's one with rubber legs, just for shits and grins:

Yours looks good, buddy. I sent you a PM.

Yer Pal,
Streamer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:33 pm 
Brook Trout

Just a simple comment the use of double edged blades.

I carefully snap mine in half and then place a piece of masking tape over the broken edge.

Makes it a bit more flexible and a whole lot safer.

Cyberfish

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:05 pm 
Brown Trout

Cyberfish wrote:
Just a simple comment the use of double edged blades.

I carefully snap mine in half and then place a piece of masking tape over the broken edge.

Makes it a bit more flexible and a whole lot safer.

Cyberfish

I've often snapped em' in half....but never thought to put a piece of masking or duct tape over the back side.....good tip.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:06 am 
Brown Trout

Aaron-
I was shown (several times [because I am a slow learner]) tying then the way Streamer does them. I would be more than Happy to show you at our next mini L&T

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:36 am 
Brown Trout

Thanks for everyone's comments. Much appreciated.

I have already spent more time looking through Chris Helm's offerings for some different chennile - he certainly has the supplies. I can find cactus chennile around here which is probably fine but not exactly what I want. FWIW, I also looked into a bulk purchase of Estaz but couldn't find any practical option.

Bob, give me a call - we can set something up around your schedule. By the way, my in-laws live at Lake Wylie (in Belmont down by the power plant), just off the water. I might move my canoe over to their house. (18 footer, so room for Devin, too). We will have to give that a try one day soon and see if these flash dancers really work. Or we can take out the 'toons.