southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Grrrr.. PT legs
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:16 am 
Brown Trout

One of those things I just can't get the hang of, good looking pheasant tail legs.
There has to be an easy, sure-fire way of tying those danged things... share your tips please!
Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Grrrr.. PT legs
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:09 pm 
Brown Trout

Two for ya, Jack.

1. Wrap a hackle through the thorax, clip away the fibers on top, then pull the shellback over and finish the fly.

OR

B. Make your shellback from a few extra fibers, but after you finish the fly, snip the back of a few fibers from each side of the shellback. They'll sorta spring out like legs.

Yer Pal,
Streamer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:59 pm 
Brown Trout

I tie them in two different ways as the mood strikes me.

1. I tie in a bundle of PT fibers with the tips pointing out the desired leg length out over the eye of the hook before wrapping the thorax. The I build the thorax. Just before pulling the wingcase forward I stroke the tips back separated to each side in two bundles, wrap a couple thread wraps to set them, then pull the wingcase over while keeping the legs divided. I then pinch wrap the wingcase and legs, clip excess and whip finish.

2. Just before pulling the wingcase foward and after wrapping the thorax, I tie in a bundle of PT fibers the desired leg length. I do this with the tips pointing toward the tail of the fly and over the thorax. I then clip the butts neatly as possible at the head. Next stroke the bundle to separate it into two leg bunches and pull the wingcase over to set them. Lastly, I pinch wrap the wingcase and legs, clip excess and whip finish.

I thought that was how everyone does them so pardon me if it's the obvious methods.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:15 pm 
Brown Trout

windknotter wrote:
I
1. I tie in a bundle of PT fibers with the tips pointing out the desired leg length out over the eye of the hook before wrapping the thorax. The I build the thorax. Just before pulling the wingcase forward I stroke the tips back separated to each side in two bundles, wrap a couple thread wraps to set them, then pull the wingcase over while keeping the legs divided. I then pinch wrap the wingcase and legs, clip excess and whip finish.

This method gives a better looking leg on a PT for me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:19 pm 
Brook Trout

I tie the wing case and the legs out of the same bundle of fibers. Like this :D http://www.flyguysoutfitting.com/pheasanttailsbs.html

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:15 am 
Brown Trout

flyman wrote:
I tie the wing case and the legs out of the same bundle of fibers. Like this :D http://www.flyguysoutfitting.com/pheasanttailsbs.html

Been doing that for a long time. The fish approve. :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:45 am 
Brown Trout

Or, you can tie in the legs first thing, over the eye of the hook after measuring for length.

Tie your fly, pull your wing case over the thorax, separate the bundle of fibers tied in over the eye of the hook one part to each side, finish the head and whip finish. No fuss. no muss. ;)

Ralph :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:21 pm 
Brown Trout

lets see some of them bugs peddler :D :D :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:55 pm 
Rainbow Trout

I was just tying some flashback PTs for our TU silent auction. The traditional method ties down the wing case fibers. Then one splits the fibers and folds them back along the sides, However, I use soft hackle which I think moves much better than PT fibers.

Note that the body of the nymph slightly looks curved in the second photo because it is. The pattern is tied on a scud hook with an offset point for increased hooking. The red tinted copper wire is counter wrapped in the opposite direction of the PT abdomen fibers,

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:47 pm 
Brown Trout

Nice on the soft hackle, but the bead head is way to big for the fly imo.