southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Brown longbug
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:19 am 
Brown Trout

The McStreamer Gentleman and the Master of the Longbug got me to thinking about something to throw at a brown trout if I could find one.Here is what I nailed on a hook to see if the fish will give it a look.I ordered me some of that longbug stuff from the tying dungeon for future hairballs. Here is the idea ....make it better.

Post subject: Re: Brown longbug
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:32 pm 
Brown Trout

How do you make this better? We could make suggestions about how to make it different, but not necessarily better. Nice work, Smoke.

Yer Pal,
Streamer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:25 pm 
Brown Trout

Only one suggestion tie twice as many. Those are gonna get worked over :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:08 pm 
Brown Trout

This is probably a dumb question, but does that style of eye hold enough air to impact the way the fly acts in the water and/or is it fragile? Not that I know what I am talking about, but I might try some different types of eyes.

My other ill-informed idea would be to add a rattle if for no other reason than I have thought about starting to play with rattles as part of my flies.

Still, it is much better than anything my feeble abilities would have come up with.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:26 pm 
Brown Trout

to be honest the ones I fish with dont have eyes........the rattles would be great for the smallies.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:12 pm 
Brown Trout

Christensen wrote:
This is probably a dumb question, but does that style of eye hold enough air to impact the way the fly acts in the water and/or is it fragile? Not that I know what I am talking about, but I might try some different types of eyes.

My other ill-informed idea would be to add a rattle if for no other reason than I have thought about starting to play with rattles as part of my flies.

Still, it is much better than anything my feeble abilities would have come up with.

Aaron....the "air" does'nt seem to be an issue.... If the fly would sink without em' it'll sink with em'.....but.....I've not found a good way to keep those type eyes on a fly....I think we've kind of touched on this....about the only ways I've found to securely keep eyes on a fly is to cover them with epoxy (and those don't look good covered with epoxy...and the thickness creates a lot of bulk on the fly)....and the 3-d eyes stay on those deadhead minnows attached with t-shirt paint pretty well.....have'nt fished them long enough to be sure....but so far so good.

Like Peewee mentioned.... those flies I've had lose an eye...or both....still seem to catch fish for the most part....especially on something like a sculpin pattern.