southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: hook styles
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:48 pm 
Brown Trout

Do you notice much difference in your success based on styles of hooks?

As reflected in the following video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gPa49Fta8s this guy uses a jig hook for his shad darts. The hook appears to have a 60 degree (or thereabout) angle.

I have tied some of the same pattern using a jig hook with a 90 degree angle, because that is all I could find after I watched the video (and thought at the time of purchase that he was using the same). Then I started to worry that my flies on jig hooks wouldn't work, so I tested them in a local pond and was surprisingly impressed. The fly stayed more horizontal and appeared especially realistic in the swim patter (although shad don't eat other fish). However, there is still good movement (but less) up and down. The forward movement from stripping the line is excellent. (Assuming I am "in the zone", this should be a good thing). Traditionally,however, jig hooks have been used for "jigging" - up and down movement from a boat or perhaps through a hole in the ice -- rather than fly fishing.

Then I started researching use of jig hooks for flies, and it seems they have their own cult following.

And then I go back to the style of shad dart that Bob Clouser ties - straight hook, as on a "Clouser." My guess is that this will provide more up and down movement, with some variation based on where the eyes are placed.

So am I the only person that can lay awake at night thinking about these things? What are your thoughts on this important issue?

Post subject: Re: hook styles
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:56 am 
Brown Trout

Jigs are used for jigging? WHAT!!! YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS???!!!!! Anyway, all my crappie fishing is done slow rolling a jig. Throw it, retrieve it as slow as possible. They seem to like it. :D Get some sleep. Yes you can retrieve a jig like a wolly bugger. My main problem with using jigs for trout has been that they don't seem to sink well in the current. Not sure why. Which means you may have to go a bit heavier than you think to sink them in moving water.

Post subject: Re: hook styles
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:49 pm 
Brown Trout

I've never had a problem with 90 degree jig hooks running they way the were supposed to. On the other hand, if I am tying a fly on a jig hook, the 60 degree angle makes it easier to form a proper head, or to tie a section of bead chain in the bend. Anthony Hipps has a really nice bream/crappie fly he ties on the 60 degree hooks.

I'd say, off hand, if you are molding heads on jig hooks, you want the 90 degree bend. If you are tying flies on jig hooks, you might like the results with the 60 degree hooks a bit better.

Yes, you may be over thinking this a bit....