southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 1/4" and 3/8" cylindrical foam tubing
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:33 am 
Brown Trout

I need 2 to four feet of each for popper and other flies. And ideas?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: 1/4" and 3/8" cylindrical foam tubing
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:41 am 
Brown Trout

I make mine from recycled and end of season mark down flip flops. Metal tube sharpened and placed in a drill. The ID is what your going for. A engine lathe works even better. Cylinders fall out the other end.
Todd's Wiggly minnows with this style foam cylinder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:02 pm 
Rainbow Trout

It is easier and cheaper to buy a nesting cork borer set on Ebay than making your own punches. The more borers in the set, the larger the foam plugs you will get. I have 3 different sets of borers. Since you are making foam popper bodies, you can email the seller to find the range of sizes the borers will make. Inside diameter of the borer or the hole size is the external diameter of the popper body.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brass-Cork-Rubber-S ... _500wt_898

I just bought this $9.99 set for a friend. It will make bodies up to 7/16" so it will also make the 1/4 and 3/8 size you need. However the auction is now closed. Wait until it is relisted.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 046wt_1057

Then get 6 mm (1/4") thick 8" by 12" craft foam sheets at a craft store and glue them together using 3M 77 adhesive spray. I get it at Michaels using a 40% off coupon.

You can layer different colored foam to get striped popper bodies. Wait 24 hours and then punch out the round popper bodies. I've tried cheap foam flip flops, but the ones I've found have foam that is too soft. So I glue the craft foam which seems to be denser.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:39 pm 
Brown Trout

I am not sure of the flip flops you have tried but I haven't found a pair that's softer than closed cell foam sheet materials as you suggest. The laminated sheets is also a good technique. Make's awesome yellow jackets and hornets.

I agree that buying a set of cork bores is easier. Making a punch to use in a drill is as simple as using a tubing cutter. Tighten and turn.

Not really sure on cheaper. I never found tubing at the model shop that expensive.

The big thing I don't like about cork bores is you can't put them in a power drill or lathe. Long cylinders are pretty rough to cut by hand. A drill certainly makes the cutting of cylinders more time efficient.

Bought a set of cork bores after the first time I meet Harry Steves. Still use them for disc pattern. Recommend his book highly.

I was not offering my solution as the only possible one. I am pretty sure that I will continue to use it and I make quite a few foam flies over the next several months such as poppers, wiggly minnows, and the like.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:24 am 
Rainbow Trout

I got my flip flops at the dollar store. I tried to core out ant bodies but the that didn't really work. The flip flops are made so that the top and bottom of the foam is faced with a harder solid surface and when coring out ant bodies, they were messed up. Maybe your method of using a drill would work better.

What I like about the cork borers is that I can put them in my fly tying kit and make bodies as I need them. It is also great for tying demos to show how the bodies are made. You also don't need to take the boring tube out of the drill to push out the bodies.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:29 pm 
Brown Trout

Thanks for the tips Brad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:57 am 
Brown Trout

Brad did the foam blocks from PFF two years ago work? I can bring a load this year if anyone is interested.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:31 am 
Rainbow Trout

If you need a cork borer, it was relisted at $9.99 delivered.

http://cgi.ebay.com/7-Tool-Cork-Rubber- ... 046wt_1057

Silver

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:45 am 
Brown Trout

Thanks