southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Dragon Fly Prototype
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:16 pm 
Brown Trout

I tried it for a little while this afternoon on the pond. Caught 3 bass. It casts well and isn't to much of a pain to tie.

Would appreciate some critique. I'm sure there's stuff to be done to improve it.

Post subject: Re: Dragon Fly Prototype
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:44 pm 
Brown Trout

If it caught three bass, it might not need improvin :)

Good call on the mono wings. That should solve any major twisting issues

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:42 am 
Brown Trout

Brad...I've hesitated commenting because I did'nt want to come across the wrong way....

I've watched adult dragonflies quite a bit...and if I've seen two get eaten in my life....that would be a stretch! I grew up thinking they were supposed to be a great bass bait...but over the years have never witnessed one being eaten by a bass that I can remember....nor have I ever caught a bass on an adult dragon pattern....though like Peddler mentioned....the nymphs will get eaten with abandon. It may be different where you are....and I guess if I was gonna fish one.....this one would seem as good as any.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:16 pm 
Brown Trout

Tom I appreciate you saying what you think :)

I would agree I haven't seen a lot of bass eating the dragons but have seen them put on one heck of a show trying. I have to believe they get enough to keep that level of effort going. Some days I sit on the ponds dock and just watch the bass bust out of the water after them.

I don't know that I'm not tying this fly just for the ponds bass. I may try it down on the French Broad after school gets out and see how those smallies react to it.

I agree nymph patterns of dragonflies are great. I just want to see the explosions :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:49 pm 
Brown Trout

I guess my question would be...are you sure they are busting the surface for dragonflies? last saturday afternoon the fish were going nuts on my pond....popping the surface everywhere ....but its a mystery to me what they were after....but it was'nt dragonflies. like I said....I don't want to be the ney sayer....because every body of water is different...but on several ponds and lakes....I've watched dragonflies closely...watched them when they come down and seemingly touch the water with thier tails...and seen many land on the water...and never seen one eaten.....yet something like a beetle or other insects hit the water and are scarffed up almost immediately. I'm just wondering if like some catarpillers...fish just wont eat them? Might be an interesting experiment....when the fish are eating well....I might try to catch one or two of the real thing and put them on a hook....and see what the response is.

On a completely seperate note...Saturday night when I went out in the middle of the night...as I got close to a big patch of lily pads I saw two frogs jump off the pads into the water.....one was eaten right away....I just happened to be shining a flashlight on em'.... I usually hear a couple of big bullfrogs....but have rarely seen any frogs in the pond.....could be for a couple of reasons....one...theres plenty of cover for them to hide....where as many of the ponds where we used to gig in Ky. were clean around the banks....another reason could be the heat...maybe they seek shelter during the day and come out at night? Either way....it was cool to see some frogs....and especially to watch one get eaten! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:42 pm 
Brown Trout

overbrook wrote:
....I just happened to be shining a flashlight on em'....

Tom,

Just a note, if you want to catch fish at night, 86 the light!

Ralph :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:14 pm 
Brown Trout

The dragonflies are on the pond in a swarm. I am 100% sure that the bass are going after the dragonflies. The acrobatics hit a peak around noon under bright sun. It's dang hot on the fisherman as well as the fish. I really have never seen them anywhere else go this crazy over dragonflies. Yesterday 3 fish to hand and several misses. One to hand and one miss. Today the sun had moved off the pond by the time I finished the gardening. Wish I could figure a way to get it on film somehow. Oh well there.

Yep no flash light for the night fishing ;) :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:36 pm 
Brown Trout

outdoorguy3 wrote:
overbrook wrote:
....I just happened to be shining a flashlight on em'....

Tom,

Just a note, if you want to catch fish at night, 86 the light!

Ralph :D

I don't keep it on....was just getting an idea of where I was and how far from the hang ups I was.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:11 pm 
Warpaint Shiner

food supply and food chain in the pond prolly demands they eat any near the pond

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:41 am 
Brown Trout

I'm beginning to see a picture of 'Result May Vary' as for this pattern being a great 'magic bullet' fly. It would appear from our discussion so far there is no consistent reaction from largemouth bass to dragon flies.

It seems to be working well for the farm pond. I've caught several decent fish over the days I've tested the fly.

Works best on hot, clear, and calm days just around noon.