southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Okay here's a question for
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:23 pm 
Brown Trout

everyone who fishes small streams for trout. The recent fashion thingy has made me look at my dry fly hackle differently. Sort of like tying with dollar bills.

I fish Catskill and Wulff patterns for those little wild rainbows and native brook trout. I catch a good many fish on them. I like to tie them. But here's the question: ' Can you tie a effective small stream fly without using dry fly hackle?'

These streams are fast usually with pockets and pools.

What non-hackle patterns would you recommend or endorse? It's raining here and I'm inside after the chores and have to stuff is done. I know I tie a lot from non-traditional materials but this is slightly perplexing me.

Really appreciate thoughts.

Post subject: Re: Okay here's a question for
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:29 pm 
Brown Trout

Foam ants or an unweight greenie weenie. I am usually right on top of the fly so I can see the weenie floating right under the surface. Takes are hard and splashy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:39 pm 
Brown Trout

I like those :)

But what do you do when they are keyed on mayflies and sally's?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:15 pm 
Smallmouth Bass

take the standard hook of your choice, tie in the tail or trailing shuck, wrap the body, and stick a dough ball on and finish with epoxy for durability :D

"Say I won't!"

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:05 pm 
Brown Trout

Brad,
Here is a pattern you might find interesting and someone like you may likely improve upon it. It's called the "Flutterby" and is a pattern developed by the late Jerry Neal. I knew Jerry some years ago when we were both members of the FFF club here in Greenville. He was literally an old trout bum but was probably the most talented fly tyer I have ever met. He has been dead some years now. He is probably best known for a pattern he named "The yellow neal", a Golden yellow hackled, white calf winged, yellow thread bodied and micro fibbet tailed mayfly dry. I have little experience with the "flutterby" pattern but remembered it when seeing your post. It is from a small booklet I have of flies he developed that he had printed and sold from the trunk of his car. In Jerry's own words, "This is a killer bream fly and tied a little different an excellent brown trout fly."

"Hook-#10 mustad 94840
Wings-Deer, Elk, or caribou body hair spun in a dubbing loop The hair is loaded into the loop with the natural ends set in a taper with the shortest end at hook and the long end at the dubbing twister. The butts of the hair is then trimmed very close to the legs of the loop before spinning.
Back-Chenille pulled over the top and into the spun hair
Belly-Chenille pulled under the bottom and into the hair. The belly can be omitted if desired. It seems to float better without the belly chenille.
Head-chenille"

I would think you could tie this fly in even smaller sizes and substitute thin strips of foam for the chenille to make a fair floating terrestrial pattern. I can gladly type up the balance of the pattern instructions for you if you'd like them but I am sure you can tie it on the idea alone.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:21 pm 
Brown Trout

Knox I worry about you sometimes :)

Theron that sounds like a 'have to try' pattern. If you tie one stick up a pic if you get a minute. Decided I'm what they call a visual learner these days. You come up with some cool stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:52 am 
Brown Trout

Actually, the X-Caddis works very well on small streams. The antron-dubbed body doesn't hold water very well, so you can usually squeeze it out and refloat it few times before you have to switch flies. In the past, I have actually continued to fish a waterlogged X-Caddis, and found it to be just as effective, although harder to see, than a fresh, dry fly.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:04 pm 
Brown Trout

Nelsons Caddis with no Hackle head.I tie it with a Deer hair head. Floats like a top.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:37 pm 
Brown Trout

The foam hoppers, beetles, and crickets should be able to work without hackle. I sometimes tend to use a bit of hackle though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:15 am 
Brown Trout

comb out your antron and put it in a dubbing loop ---trim to fit the hackle size for the hook size. :lol: :lol: :lol: