southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: bream patterns
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:08 pm 
Brown Trout

Just wondering if someone would share some patterns for the gills? Give me a name in PM if you wish and I will search for the pattern.Thanks

Post subject: Re: bream patterns
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:37 pm 
Brown Trout

One of my favorites is a Tokyo Spider, size 8. I've not tried tying it on anything smaller. Size 8 works for those big bream like you showed us the other day.

http://www.flyfishga.com/spider.htm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:56 pm 
Brown Trout

Foam Spider
Humpy
Small Popper
Small Stealth Bombers
Woolly Buggers
Bigger Hares Ear
Few of the ones I use.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:09 pm 
Brown Trout

Peewee,
The onion ring works well and catches bass too. I tie it on a #12-10 hook.
Chartruese thread, chartruese krystal flash tail, chartruese rabbit strip wing, chartruese krystal braid body, red krystal flash gills, gold bead chain eyes.

I also use a simple #12 wet fly pattern. Black thread overwrapped with a strand of pearl krystal flash and ribbed with gold wire, overcoated with hard as hull or sally hans, small black dunned thorax and sparse partridge hackle. We fish it with slow finger twist retrieves.
It's also great fished as a dropper under a small deer hair slider over bream beds. Reckon it looks like an emerger of sorts.

Pop mostly just uses my "purple glitter getter". It's what you fellas call a bully. I tie them with black thread, a tail of black marabou and two strands of blue krystal flash doubled, a body of purple krystal chenille, hackled for legs with purple grizzly or plain black saddle hackle and gold bead chain for eyes. I've heard yellow is the color everyone uses but the purple/black outfishes everything else for us.

I've got another pattern I call a "Thomas fly" named after my Bro-in-law who was the first to catch a fish on it. It's a tiny baitfish pattern I came up with tied on a #12 hook.
Tan thread, sprig of wood duck flank for a tail, gold oval tinsel wrapped for the body, small gold bead chain eyes with a bit of tan dubbing around them then a bundle of wood duck flank tied in clouser wing style.

Now if the small hook sizes scare you off don't be worried. I always mash the barbs and use a cheap pair of curved forceps to easily roll out even deep hooked flies. Glad to post up a pic of two if needed but none handy at the moment.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:48 pm 
Brown Trout

appreciate these ideas fellows will get busy tomorrow trying to make a few hairballs for the weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:05 pm 
Brown Trout

I like me some Madam X's as searching patterns. They can be fished wet, dry or even damp. A slow, hand twist retrieve is killer subsurface.
Damsels and dragonfly nymphs when they're not looking up, spiders and most anything else that'll fit in their mouths during a top bite.
For sure, everything I said thus far pales when compared to dropping bullies with the guidance of J.T.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:46 pm 
Brown Trout

Black bully with white legs is strong medicine. Big hares ear or soft hackle dropped off a sneaky Pete has been killer as well. Tie them on size 12 or bigger or they will swallow the hook. Gills have bigger mouths than you think and it keeps the little guys off your hook. Biggest thing I have learned from JT and Geezer is to not move the fly to much and set the hook at the slightest twitch. Most nymphy looking patterns will work, but it's a hoot to catch them on top. A size 10 stimulator can also be deadly. Sz 10 is what is in my bluegill box.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:53 am 
Brown Trout

WK That onion looks good. Here is what they were eating last week.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:42 am 
Brown Trout

Alas,
The pebble continues to elude me.....
Looks like a winner there smoke.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:39 pm 
Brown Trout

Peewee,

A slow sink Bully is the best Bream Bait that I have ever used. I literally have caught thousands of bream on it.

Bright insect green with yellow legs is my all round favorite. I like yellow legs because I can see that color the best.

You tie it on a #10 hook 3X long

JT