southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Big beetles?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:08 pm 
Brown Trout

Any help with tying ideas on big beetle patterns?
I've been trying some bigger stuff than the normal up to #12 patterns I usually fish. I've tied some june bug colored beetles in #8 recently using a foam strip underbody and a wide foam strip pulled over for the normal shell back and using turkey biots for legs.
Any tips for big patterns would be greatly appreciated, hoping to improve. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Big beetles?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:44 pm 
Brown Trout

I am not any close to being proficient with beetles for trout. This is the one I caught several fish on the Watagua with a few weeks ago.

Hook: #12 Dry fly
Body: Razor foam blk
Legs: Craft-store thread blk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:55 pm 
Brown Trout

I was hoping some you all beetle masters would weigh in to advise Theron? I have as my only confidence beetle the one above.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:13 am 
Brown Trout

Looks like a killer beetle to me Brad. The legs look great too. I'm gonna have to find some of that thread!

I have to add a hot spot of orange and yellow foam somewhere on top to see mine. It only makes a little difference and even then I still gotta watch close to track them.

Thanks for posting it. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:29 am 
Brown Trout

Brad...not to step on your post...but I believe that is evazote foam...not razor foam...razor foam is very thin like a 1/16th" good lookin beetle though!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:48 am 
Brown Trout

Thank you :)

Oops. It is the thinner stuff. Two piece per pack and one is thinner than the other.

Either way it is much more pliable than the closed cell from Micheal's craft-store. Easier to get the segments and bulges in the right places.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:04 am 
Brown Trout

I don't tie a beetle any bigger than a 12. I also do not put anything on top of the beetle as an indicator. Real beetles do not have orange spots on their backs. :lol: You fish them in flat water and watch the ripples where the beetle lands. Follow the ripples down and if anything moves near the ripples set the hook. Wade slow and carefully and pay close attention to the banks. If you see something move close to the banks ease up there and don't spook him. I fish fairly close and I don't make long casts. I wade slow and cover every inch of water. If a fish is near the bank looking for beetles he will hear the splats coming toward him and he will be ready when it gets close. I have had them come from several feet upstream to hammer it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:28 pm 
Brown Trout

5X,
The indicators on the beetles are more for broken water, pocket water etc. I fish them the way you describe when I get the chance to fish flat water but that's mostly a longer drive from here and a tad more rare. :D

Here's the latest bug:

It's unproven. I found the legs a little difficult to set into position till I figured out how to dab a bit of superglue on the base right where it touches the wing case. After that it was easy to position them.

Here's the progression of bugs the last week or so:
I've fished the little black beetles for a while now and they work pretty good.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll still be working on it so please keep them coming if anyone cares to share more.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:23 am 
Brown Trout

5x how long a leader? I tried a beetle this past weekend in the flat, glassy, cold water but finally gave up out of frustration. Felt like I was spooking fish for miles with my wading and cast

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:13 am 
Brown Trout

I use 12 ft. 4X with around 2-3 ft. of 5x fluro tippett. Shorter tippett if I am throwing under limbs. If you are sending ripples more than 2 or 3 feet in front of you, you are wading too fast. Get in the water at the tail end of the pools where there is heavy current. That way you won't send waves in the water immediately. Pretend you are hunting instead of fishing, and waves are the equivelent of stepping on dry leaves. Never, ever, do a false cast in the direction you are fishing. If you absolutely have to do a false cast with a beetle in flat water do it in a place you already fished or in a different direction. This is doubly true on the Smith.