southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I finally got one
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:52 pm 
Brown Trout

I have ask around of all the 'supposed' trapper in two counties and got the same response. 'Sure we trap and tan Opossum hides' and never seemed to have one or get me one. This semester at school it came up as we were shooting the breeze before class. This little boy I hadn't had in a class before quietly said "I can get you one", "We trap". In fear of another 'bull crap' experience I said bring it and how much or many flies do you want? I don't fly fish and said a dollar figure that was fair. He brought it today.

I almost hate to cut on it :)

Post subject: Re: I finally got one
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:49 pm 
Brown Trout

Hey Teach Momma said mink not "possum".Had a possum fur hood on a coat one time......had to get rid of it because every time I heard a load noise I would play dead until things calmed down.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:34 pm 
Brown Trout

Never really thought about it but I believe I had one to. Trying to think why the fur seemed familiar. It was a warm coat :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:20 pm 
Brown Trout

My neighbor's dog (a german short hair) has killed 5 possums this year. He will bring me one but he won't skin it for me. Had one as road kill out front a few months back but I didn't chose to skin that one, either. It was getting ripe. I have no problem dressing and skinning game but possums are nasty creatures. Any particular patterns that might motivate me to not be so lazy? OTOH, roadkill would seem to qualify for a "trash fly."

And Brad, what is the chance you will make it to one of my tying events this year? (Generally, colder weather, nothing-else-to-do events on the weekends). Free place to stay, with pancakes and/or eggs in the morning and maybe 'cue for lunch. You can beat that offer, even if Overbrook attends, too.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:46 pm 
Brown Trout

I have shot a few this summer. My mom couldn't figure why if I wanted one that bad why I didn't just dress one out. The cringe factor was pretty strong with me too. When the kid said he had one fully tanned that was a perfect moment :)

Aaron I would like to come tie with you all. Let me see how the fall/winter stacks up and get back to you. Do love a good pancake :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:00 am 
Brown Trout

Christensen wrote:
Free place to stay, with pancakes and/or eggs in the morning and maybe 'cue for lunch. You can beat that offer, even if Overbrook attends, too.

I never got any pancakes or eggs :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:14 pm 
Brown Trout

I don't have a pic right now but here's a description on the first fly with WNC possum fur dubbing and guard hairs.

Hook: #12 Nymph 2x
Bead: Brass
Tail: Possum guard hair
Abdomen: Possum dubbing
Rib: Gold thread
Thorax: Peacock hurl ( kid a the flea market sold me a hand full of fresh tail plums)
Wing-case: Turkey ( last years molt)

That fly couldn't get anymore local.

The reason I don't have a pic is I tied only three and they all got used up :) Bluegill, yellow breasted sunfish and crappie all ate them. I know I'll tie more :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:33 am 
Brook Trout

Brad:

Here in Nevada, Oregon and NorCal we utilize a fly called a 'Possie Bugger'. The main materal is possum. It's a very effective fly for trout in our freestone rivers and streams.

The rainbow bead possie bugger which has rubber legs is one of the best and my first choice.

Search for 'Rainbow Bead Possie Bugger' on Youtube, there is an excellent video showing how this fly is tied. Also there are several other videos showing variations of the original.

Cyberfish

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:49 am 
Brown Trout

Be very careful on the spelling during this search cause I don't want to even think what might come up if you hit U instead of O

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:23 pm 
Brown Trout

Cyberfish I like that pattern. I am positive it will do well on the French Broad. Going to tie some for sure. Thanks for sharing the link :)

I tried some mink from a stole I bought at a church yard sale. Some old lady wore it with pride. She would probably not be happy what is happening to it. Making some great nymphs. I can't for the life me think why folks were so into mink. We use to shoot them for killing chickens and threw them over the fence into the woods. What a waste.