southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Necessity....the mother of all inventions
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:54 am 
Offline
Brown Trout
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:50 pm
Posts: 2614
Location: the metropolis of Wagener
as many of you may know I have been frustrated with flyfishing in my pond of late because the water is low....and there is a ton of lily pads and grass and crap in there that hangs on just about anything you throw....with the exception of poppers in open water.....problem is...most of the bass especially the big boys seem to be hanging about 2 to 3 feet off the bank in some of the thickest cover....stuff you would'nt even think they can swim through......till now the only way I have found to approach this is with a plastic worm rigged weedless drug over the mat of weeds and pads and even then it seems I miss about 4 out of five fish.....and am left with a big gob of salad hanging on the end of my line. Now.....I know how much some of you despise hearing about spinning gear.....so I've tried to come up with a popper or "fly" that can be fished over the vegatation with some degree of success.....here is what I've devised ......

A bullet shaped cork head with 25 pound stranded wire thru the head attaching a split ring on which to tie your leader......

Image

secured in the rear with a bead and crimp sleeve...

Image

Then I added some eyes and a good thick coat of epoxy for a smooth durable finish....

Image

I also added an extra bead and sleeve to give me some tie in points....

Image

For the hook I'm using a wide gap Gamakatsu octapus style hook with 3 loops of mono spaced out and epoxied at the eye so that it creates a rounded stinger hook that hopefully will hop over the weeds and not hang in the crevice of the lilies.....

Image

I then threaded a rabbit strip onto the tailing wire behind the head of the fly....

Image

tied in some rubber legs and hackle......

Image

and attached the stinger hook......

Image

for the finished product......
Image

Image

Image

She may not be real pretty....but I'm hopeful it will allow me to once again persue the bass without the aggrivation of losing flies and cleaning of a crap load of vegatation after every cast.
Hopefully this will be of some use to others or possibly spawn some other innovative ideas.

I'll let ya'll know if it works next time I get home.

_________________
"The fish and I were both stunned and disbelieving to find ourselves connected by a line." William Humphrey


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Necessity....the mother of all inventions
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:31 am 
Offline
Brown Trout

Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:08 pm
Posts: 355
Nice work Tom, looking forward to hearing how it fishes!

_________________
Cam


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Necessity....the mother of all inventions
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:54 am 
Offline
Brown Trout

Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:46 am
Posts: 987
Location: Hickory, NC
Tom,

Not to rain on your parade, the conditions you describe, sound perfect for flippin' or for tossin' a frog. Why fight it just to say your fly fishing? Some conditions are not meant for fly rods. fl The best medicine for heavy cover is heavy gear. Flipping is a hoot and very productive. Frogs can be frustrating at times for the reasons you already mentioned.....bad hook-up ratios, but nothing beats a bass slammin' a frog in the cover!

Ralph :D

_________________
Life's about havin' FUN!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Necessity....the mother of all inventions
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:34 pm 
Offline
Brown Trout
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:50 pm
Posts: 2614
Location: the metropolis of Wagener
outdoorguy3 wrote:
Tom,

Not to rain on your parade, the conditions you describe, sound perfect for flippin' or for tossin' a frog. Why fight it just to say your fly fishing? Some conditions are not meant for fly rods. fl The best medicine for heavy cover is heavy gear. Flipping is a hoot and very productive. Frogs can be frustrating at times for the reasons you already mentioned.....bad hook-up ratios, but nothing beats a bass slammin' a frog in the cover!

Ralph :D


Ralph....I may be overstating my frustration.....trust me...those who know me well know I really don't have a problem using spinning gear when conditions dictate it..... I guess I was really playing around with the idea for the fun of it. What I'd really like to be able to do is go out with a 3 wt rigged with small poppers for bluegill and a larger rod rigged with something like the above for bass....of course then there will be the days when they just won't eat on top :twisted:

Now if I could just figure out the carp.....last time down at the Savannah I even scented a bugger with anise .....they still ignored me :roll:

_________________
"The fish and I were both stunned and disbelieving to find ourselves connected by a line." William Humphrey


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Necessity....the mother of all inventions
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:53 pm 
Offline
Brown Trout

Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:34 pm
Posts: 590
Location: Charlotte,
Tom,

I have used weedless bass hooks with the wire guards.

Good Luck.

Brock


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Necessity....the mother of all inventions
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:09 pm 
Offline
Brown Trout
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:50 pm
Posts: 2614
Location: the metropolis of Wagener
flyfishn wrote:
Tom,

I have used weedless bass hooks with the wire guards.

Good Luck.

Brock


Brock....I've thought about that....they also have "add on " soft plastic weedgaurds" I had considered. but really one of the biggest things is not the hook itself....but the overall shape of the fly or lure....the front end needs to be rounded and nothing behind it that will tend to hang up in the V shape of a lily pad..... like the plastic frogs ralph mentioned.

There was a couple of good ideas posted on the drake that I'm going to play with.....the best of which I think would be doing a "deadhead minnow" style head....with the hook tucked up inside far enough that it would'nt snag....but when eaten the head would collapse exposing the hook.....I had thought about that...but was'nt sure how to make it work until this guy mentioned the use of tubes on my fly....suddenly it clicked! :D

more later.......

_________________
"The fish and I were both stunned and disbelieving to find ourselves connected by a line." William Humphrey


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Necessity....the mother of all inventions
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:55 pm 
Offline
Brown Trout
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:10 pm
Posts: 812
Earlier somewhere around this joint I mentioned how I missed bassin around lily pads. I just don't see them here around Charlotte.
When I used to fish around lily pads I would get my float tube right in among them while plying every gap in the lily pads with a fly rod tossed popper. I had a blast sometimes throwing the popper on a lily pad then just twitching it ever-so slowly off the pad and into a small clearing. That sh1t'll give you a heart attack when poppa bass explodes on it.
It wasn't a numbers game. I think maybe because the boss hawgs owned the joint and they were rarer than the juvies.
Weedless poppers, patience and the ability to be okay with getting hung up every so often and cleaning crap of your rig all the time help.
You can catch them all day but just like most fishing, it was better at dawn and dusk. I only did it a few times in the black of night. Being in a float tube I would always manage to screw something up like getting hopelessly tangled or piercing an ear.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Necessity....the mother of all inventions
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:59 pm 
Offline
Brown Trout
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:10 pm
Posts: 812
overbrook wrote:

There was a couple of good ideas posted on the drake that I'm going to play with.....the best of which I think would be doing a "deadhead minnow" style head....with the hook tucked up inside far enough that it would'nt snag....but when eaten the head would collapse exposing the hook.......


That sounds like the soft bodied plastics I used to use, and let the kids around here use in the thick stuff.
The have two side-by-side hooks buried points up in the body.
Those things will cruise over anything.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Necessity....the mother of all inventions
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:45 pm 
Offline
Brown Trout
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:54 pm
Posts: 1249
Location: Statesboro, GA
:idea:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=641

http://www.danblanton.com/viewpictures.php?id=127098

_________________
You can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him -- Robert A. Heinlein.


Last edited by croaker on Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Necessity....the mother of all inventions
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:46 pm 
Offline
Brown Trout
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:50 pm
Posts: 2614
Location: the metropolis of Wagener
Peddler wrote:
Earlier somewhere around this joint I mentioned how I missed bassin around lily pads. I just don't see them here around Charlotte.
When I used to fish around lily pads I would get my float tube right in among them while plying every gap in the lily pads with a fly rod tossed popper. I had a blast sometimes throwing the popper on a lily pad then just twitching it ever-so slowly off the pad and into a small clearing. That sh1t'll give you a heart attack when poppa bass explodes on it.
It wasn't a numbers game. I think maybe because the boss hawgs owned the joint and they were rarer than the juvies.
Weedless poppers, patience and the ability to be okay with getting hung up every so often and cleaning crap of your rig all the time help.
You can catch them all day but just like most fishing, it was better at dawn and dusk. I only did it a few times in the black of night. Being in a float tube I would always manage to screw something up like getting hopelessly tangled or piercing an ear.


Peddler....you should come down sometime.....I got acres of lily pads....and a few of them poppa bass that will leave you with a stain in your britches when they explode on your popper! I tied this thing mainly with night fishing in mind.....its my theory that the bass go deep into cover during the day....and will still take advantage of an easy meal passing overhead....but at night lurk just on the edge of the slop and are in full feeding mode.this weekend is a full moon....care to join me? :D

_________________
"The fish and I were both stunned and disbelieving to find ourselves connected by a line." William Humphrey


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
phpBB - Creating Communities
Vista theme by HelterSkelter © 2007 ForumImages
Vista images © 2007 Microsoft

Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict Valid CSS!