southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Stupid thought of the day - glow-in-the-dark bugs
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:40 pm 
Brown Trout

Has anyone experimented with glow-in-the-dark fibers? I couldn't pass up about 100 feet of glow rope this afternoon. http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarte ... 65567.html Thought it would be a good idea, considering how often some drunk fisherman is sleeping in my camper.

Then Gary's yarn flies got me thinking about what else I could do with the new roll of rope. :?:

Has anyone tried glow flies? Are there some species that like or dislike glowing flies at dusk?

Edit: After a little Google research, I see I missed my window of opportunity for a patent. :oops: But has anyone else experimented with glow materials.

Post subject: Re: Stupid thought of the day - glow-in-the-dark bugs
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:01 pm 
Brown Trout

Aaron....I've done some glow in the dark poppers with glow in the dark flash tails....I gave em' away at Romp in the Swamp....(you must have been in the luxury camper at the time)

I have caught a couple of bass on them...nothing stellar...the hard part is that they seem to prefer them after they have been sitting still for a while.....where as I have had some huge fish blow up on a dark colored jitterbug worked slowly along.

I think a better application might be saltwater and night fishing for stipers. The hard part is that with most of the paints and materials I've experimented with the "charge" does'nt last very long so you have to spend a lot of time holding a bright led flashlight on them.....and I think the cooler water turns it off even faster.

BTW.....is this the first stupid thought of the day...or the only one you were willing to share? :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:35 pm 
Brook Trout

I recently purchased a 10 yard spool of 'glow in the dark' plastic lace at a Michael's craft store. The cost - exactly one dollar. It's the typical size plastic lace used to weave key chains or neck lanyards.

The lace is a little too thick for tying, so the plan is to warm a plastic strip and then gently stretch the materal to form a smaller diameter or width. After thinning the lace I'll palmer it on a dark woollybugger body before the hackle is wrapped.

At this time, the plan is to apply a strong light source to the fly before fishing the predawn Lahonton cutthroat bite at Pyramid Lake, Nv.

Have no idea whether this will work, but if it does....

Cyberfish

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:48 am 
Brown Trout

I have some glow in the dark tying thread. Never used it but now you've got me thinking...

Yet another PSA...
To make any of that stuff glow it's intensity and not duration of the light that make it glow.
A camera flash will charge that stuff quickly.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:55 am 
Brown Trout

Use the glow in the dark material for the tail-end of lightning bugs .Now where did I see that?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:21 am 
Brown Trout

Interesting thoughts. You never know until you experiment a bit.

Bill, the problem with plastic lace is that, while you can warm it and stretch it, it generally returns to it's original size in a few minutes. I tried it with some of Michael's translucent lace a couple years ago. I thought I had found a cheap substitute for Larva Lace. Once I had it stretched thin, I tried to tie it down. Maybe I didn't hold my mouth right, but I could never get a good looking body on a size 12 hook. Your mileage may vary, though, so give it a try and let us know how it works.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:28 am 
Rainbow Trout

I found these phosphorescent materials.

Flashabou (Phosphorescent)

Fire Fox Yarn

Yarn Material for Fly Tying (Fly Tying, Fly Tying Materials, Yarns at TCO Fly Fishing)

Lilleys' Landing Tackle Store :: Fly Tying Materials :: Thread, tinsel, vinyl rib :: Fox Fire Yarn (Phosphorescent) on spools

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:02 am 
Brown Trout

Goodness... Google works on this computer too! ;)

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=glow+in+the+dark+fly+tying+materials

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:03 pm 
Brown Trout

I have glow in the dark Chenille for Wolly Boogers

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:57 pm 
Brook Trout

By working a little kitchen magic, I was able to obtain a much smaller diameter on my plastic lace from Michael's.

I took an eight inch piece and dropped it into a small pan of boiling water. After cooking for a few minutes. I took the piece out and firmly stretched the material until it was about 16 inches long. I continued to stretch the lace until it had completely cooled. If the the tension was released before cooling, the lace would attempt to return to its original shape. The lace retained much of it's new length and is indeed much smaller in diameter.

It's not perfect, the stretched lace has a few minor blems and seems a bit more stiff/brittle, but I believe the smaller size is more versatile for different types of flies.

Bill