southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Del Brown Merkin
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:33 am 
Brook Trout

First attempt at this one; found some camo-colored yarn which might be good for tannic/brackish waters and mud-bottomed bays/estuaries. Claw feathers might be a bit big? Legs too short? Saw a pattern tutorial that had the dumbell eyes on the bottom of shank and legs on top; I thought that seemed wrong because it would ride hook-down which would snag more for one, plus the legs would be on top of the 'shell' rather than below it... Thanks for looking

Post subject: Re: Del Brown Merkin
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:55 pm 
Brown Trout

J-4

Damn great fly for the 1st attempt. I am impressed fer sure.
Most of the crabs that I have looked at live in the salt in N. Carolina
Many have a medium green /blueish tint... Namely a blue crab

Another common crab in N.C. is a brown crab that lives in the surf.
I do not know where you are gonna toss that baby, but I suggest that you tie it in Blue/Green and another in Medium Brown.

I wanna hear some test results on this bug :mrgreen:

JT

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:51 pm 
Warpaint Shiner

Hey J,

Fly looks great, but here are some tips that will help fill the box quicker and make a cleaner fly.

The feather claws always look sick but just use a short tuft of marabou. About a 1/4 length of the hookshank. Fishes just as good and a heck of lot cheaper and more durable. Use the really fluffy stuff! Or grizzly marabou if you can find it cause its just sexy.

Leave the legs longer if you want, you can always cut them on the water if they are fouling. Another trick though. Tie them in at the very end right before you tie on the weedguard. Just in one clump 2 sets = 4 total legs. Doesn't look as realistic to you, but the fish don't give two fish poops and it saves a lot of headache at the vise. Or just leave them off all together redfish are sadistic enough to maul a legless crab

Lastly on the merkin body do it with a v-tie. By that I mean you are looking at the hook shank. Lay your material parallell to the hook side facing you. Lash it to the hook with 2 tight thread wraps. The fold the material (ep fibers are king) over the top of the hook shank to the other side of the hook. 4 threads wraps over the material to hold in place then build up a small dam in front of the material to lock it in. Eliminating figure 8 wraps takes MINUTES off of tying this style of fly. Here is a crude drawing and pictures

get it?

here is the rough body shape you are after with trimming and an example of the V-tie

edit: please try and forget the color combination seen above...fish see it and try to steal it...no joke they will move 10ft out of their way to try and steal it. we just can't have it fall into the wrong hands

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:55 am 
Brook Trout

Thanks JT! I'm looking to fish these in darker bay/estuary waters in Charlotte Harbor May 3-10 with Psycho and hopefully Josh will be able to get away from the trappings of hometown to join us.

Awesome tips, Josh. That looks killer. Isn't that pretty close to a tarpon toad? I'm heading in that direction now...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:34 pm 
Warpaint Shiner

It is a tarpon toad, but the same shape and profile work great for merkin style flies.

Be sure to have clousers too. All black, chart/white, and all tan. Everything will eat them!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:37 pm 
Brook Trout

Cool...thanks again!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:47 pm 
Brown Trout

Have seen crab patterns tied with round furniture felt, with rubber legs between. Simple and sweet.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:38 am 
Smallmouth Bass

Josh, I hope you can join J4 and Brad. I know you are not the best supervision but those 2 need some.

Good luck guys,take pics!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:22 pm 
Warpaint Shiner

Kyle,

I'm hoping I can make it down there...work is being a bit..chhhhhhh about my days off

And I am excellent supervision until there is fishing involved, then all bets are off

Good luck fella's if I don't see ya first!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:17 pm 
Brown Trout

Always fun to learn the history of a fly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axIALr6e5JE :shock: