southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: What are you all working on.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:22 am 
Brown Trout

Just finished a dozen Olive Woolly Buggers. Also trying a version of Don Freschi's Stone Bugger. Using potato chip bag materials in place of the coated turkey feather. Two prototypes so far. Not over happy with it yet. I am hopeful.

Post subject: Re: What are you all working on.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:30 pm 
Brown Trout

not a lot going on around here anymore.........guess people are just to busy to enjoy what brought them to the dance.Be safe and I will try to get some pics ready for some bugs.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:54 pm 
Brown Trout

That's sad. My world went to shit and now is on it's way back. What's everybody else excuse? I'm tying flies again and I'm going fishing as part of my personal therapy. I caught myself day dreaming about modifying a pattern or two the other evening. I want to talk fishing again!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:25 am 
Brown Trout

I've just been too busy at work. In the last couple of months about the only thing I've tied is some wiggle minnows for a swap.I figured while it was available...I'd take every ounce of work I can get and finally give the girls the four wheelers they've been asking for...they've been begging for better than two years and now have pretty much given up all hope....they were on sale thru Nov. and I was able to scratch together just enough to get them without financing them. Hopefully after Christmas things will get back to normal for me. If its any consolation....I still daydream about fishing and tying while driving (so if you see a big truck weaving and swerving down the road...its probably me :D )

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:30 pm 
Brown Trout

I haven't fished in NC or TN in about 6 months. Can't put my finger on it.Just haven't wanted to go. It's been longer since I sat a a vise.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:31 pm 
Brown Trout

I haven't fished since mid summer when my oldest son Andrew and I fished for smallies on the North Branch of the Susky in PA. Had a great time :) . Last trout trip was back at PFF in May. It seems work and the kids sports take up most spare time. Andrew is big time into bass fishing and the Jr. BASS tournaments. Fished his first tournament earlier in the fall and had success. Qualified for the VA state championships next spring. He spends every spare minute down at the lake. I'm in the process of upgrading his gear. Next step will be getting back to the vice and tying a variety of jigs for him to use. Hopefully FT and I can get out soon it's been too long!

TC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:41 pm 
Brown Trout

Started a tying group with my students during Smart Lunch. Showed them how to tie a Stealth Bomber. Stealth Bomber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:46 pm 
Smallmouth Bass

Well, I just finished my first semester of occupational therapy school. A 20 hour semester will sure put a dent in one's fishing, but I sought refuge at the vise nearly every night. I've gotten out a day every week or two over the last few months, mostly hunting musky. Just about all of my flies have been musky patterns. I've not thought twice about trout for some reason other than going to the SoHo the other day, fumbling around with 6X and midges. I just wasn't in the right mood to keep it up and went home to tie some big bait fish..... If anyone wants to come over in the next few weeks let me know, we'll take the boat out or wade some local waters.
Glad to hear you're getting your legs back under you, Brad. Hope y'all enjoy your holidays and Merry Christmas! -Knox

"Say I won't!"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:20 pm 
Rainbow Trout

Been getting ready for my winter steelhead binge. Experimenting with different colors and materials on Intruders, and a little prom-dress work.

The head on this one is goat dubbing, I think on my next iteration I'm gonna skip the goat and tie in much closer to the eyes and see if I can't find some blue acryllic paint to use on the head of the thread.

This one, I should've used guinea feathers but wanted to see how the schlappen would work, and to be honest I think I should've gone with the guinea and again, acryllic paint on the head.

This was a color experiment, haven't fished it but I really want to. I think on the next go-round I'm gonna skip the brown ostrich, guinea collar, and tie in a red yarn'd body. Give it a nice purple with a red contrast to it. I think that would look sexy.

More angora goat dub for the head, on this one I think I'm gonna try arctic fox zonker strips spun into a dubbing loop and wrap that on its face. Longer fibers than rabbit strip and a little more durable that doesn't hold quite as much water. Plus it looks sweet.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:36 pm 
Brown Trout

Good stuff DM. Those look like fun ties. I like all of the experimentation with colors/materials.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next