southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Caddis questions
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:22 pm 
Brown Trout

The caddis post, plus the fact that I think I have swine flu and my wife doesn't want me in the house, has led me to the garage and my tying desk. So here are a few questions:

1. How much thorax is needed on a caddis fly? I tend to wrap a fair amount of hackle and I can't really notice a thorax one way or the other on the finished product.

2. How much hackle is too much? I tend toward 7 or 8 wraps with the idea that this keeps the fly floating a little better coming out of turbulent water.

3. What are your ideas for better visibility in low-light conditions? I have tied a few with a piece of dubbing tied on top. A few others are tied with some strands of high vis on top of the wings.

4. Every now and then, one wants to float on its side. Is this likely the result of the wings being too thick, a few hairs being off balance or not enough hackle to keep it straight? (I am using # 14 hundred packs, but tying on size 12 hooks).

For what it is worth, if I really do have the swine flu, it is not that bad at least for me. Yesterday was somewhat unpleasant with aches, fatigue and a fever around 102-103 but no fever today. Obviously, others have had it worse and it can be dangerous if it gets out of control. I plan to smoke some pork butt to get back at those damn swine. :twisted:

Thanks for your comments and suggestions on caddis flies.

Post subject: Re: Caddis questions
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:35 pm 
Brown Trout

1. when you say thorax...I'm assuming you mean under the hackle....I usually only dub very lightly to give the hackla a bit of a foundation...sometimes i don't even do that. really all you have on a caddis is the abdomen ,legs and wings...do yourself a favor and find some good pictures of the real thing...study them closely for proportions and such....it'll help ya tie better flies :D

2. 7 wraps should be plenty for fast water....for slower water thin it down to about 3 wraps....I like to make a variety on the chuck caddis from everything from a very thing wing and 2-3 wraps of hackle to a heavy wing and about 7-8 wraps of hackle....I fish the thinnest fly I can keep floating.

3. try some real fine strips of yellow or orange foam tied in on top of the wing just behind the hackle.

4. likely a combination of too much wing and hackle for the size of hook...the bend in the hook acts as a keel in the water....so if you got too much wing and hackle it acts like more of a ball on the water and will want to roll around rather than floating true.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:18 pm 
Brown Trout

Tom, thanks. Here are a few pics of one of the bugs. Any thoughts?Image

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:49 pm 
Rainbow Trout

I'd say you're a little thin on the dubbing and it should be thicker towards the shank of the hook and then thin as you get towards the eye. Also the wing could use a little more elk hair. A thin wing can be useful on flat water and for finicky trout but on mtn streams a nice bushy wing gives you a lot more flotation--Larry

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:24 pm 
Brown Trout

I agree that you could put a little more dubbing on the body but thats my choice. What you have will more then likely work fine. Watch the length of your hackle, I try to keep it more to the hook gap. Now Peewee, he just trims away the hackle on the bottom of everything, good way to keep it from rolling, and it gives it a different footprint on the water, but I think he does it cause it may sink and be more like a nymph. :lol: I like the amount of hair if you figure in the red for the wing. I don't like to have a whole lot of hair for the wing, the more hair the harder it is to have the air pass through on a false cast to help dry it out. I'd fish that fly you did any time.

In fact why don't you put the pic in the show & tell for this week.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:16 am 
Brown Trout

Thanks for all the tips.

Cheers,

Aaron

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:05 am 
Brown Trout

If you look at a real caddis in flight, you'll see that the head sticks way out in front. The wings are significantly further back than on a mayfly. On your EHC, move the mount point back about a hook eye distance, and you'll get a better balance. On a fluttering caddis, you want as much as 1/3 of the hook shank in front of the wings. 7 turns of a neck hackle may be OK, but I'd probably only do 5 with a Whiting 100.

I'd agree with the other comments that have been made, especially Plumbob's comment on the hackle. When you do a palmer, you don't want or need as much length. Instead, you want the fly to sit lower in the water. As for wing visibility, elk hair is about as good as it gets.

All that aside, your fly is well executed, and will fish. I know, because I used to tie my EHC just about like that.