southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Show & Tell 6---- Hairwing Streamer
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:39 pm 
Brown Trout

Both wing lengths look fine. I don't think there is any real proportion for the length. I kinda like 1-2 gaps behind the bend, but thats just me. Your first would be the longest I would have made it, the last one would be the shortest. The wing kick-- even if the yarn was run close to the eye if you would have tyed the hair further back it would have been alright. Its like tying the shoulders and cheeks on a feather wing pattern. The shape and taper of the tie down area can keep them from laying flat against the wing. I'll have to try that method at the head area, the biggest problem with hair wings is to be able to get the hair to stay without building to big of a head.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:03 pm 
Warpaint Shiner

I'm not sure what size thread you were using, but I was using 70 denier thread. Seems to help when trying to avoid built-up.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:23 am 
Brown Trout

Caleb-- I tryed the pulse wrap. Don't ask me how many times I broke the thread. :oops: I can see how that would get a tight wrap. Just need more practice. :mrgreen: I always use the 70 thread, I can get a small head just was never comfortable with it on hair wings.

Off point a little--- hows your article coming?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:26 am 
Warpaint Shiner

You need a real smooth flowing bobbin. If not the thread will break no question. You might try some other bobbins.

I'll send you an e-mail about the article.

Caleb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:24 pm 
Rainbow Trout

I see nothing wrong with belly hair.

Otherwise that fly of PHG's has caught a bunch of trout and smallies for me.

I like Caleb fly also.

Perhaps abelly hair streamer to come..

Irish

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:03 pm 
Brown Trout

OK, things have been quite around here, so I tied up one of those size 10 brown and white bucktails that I was talking about. This was meant to imitate those small bait fish you see swimming in the shallows of lakes and rivers. They are always quite small, so I wouldn't go larger than a size 8.

Very simple
Hook: size 10 gold Aberdeen hook
Thread: red, or black, it doesn't seem to matter.
Tail: Red hackle fibers (optional)
body: Red thread (I have tied it with black, it doesn't seem to matter)
Wing: Brown bucktail over white bucktail, about equal amounts. About 1 1/2 to 2 times the length of the hook.
head: Tying thread

Fish along the shore line next to a drop off, or along rip-rap. Make a quick short strip, and then let it drift. Repeat. This fly has caught LM bass from 6" to 18".

Last edited by phg on Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:18 pm 
Brown Trout

Irish wrote:

I like Caleb fly also.

Irish

what....you did'nt like mine?? :o

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:29 pm 
Brown Trout

overbrook wrote:
Irish wrote:

I like Caleb fly also.

Irish

what....you did'nt like mine?? :o

Overboard, so you don't feel left out I did like yours, but then again I liked all of the flies this week. Should have had some flashabou on a couple of them, right Streamer.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:36 pm 
Brown Trout

Here's a question. With reguards to wing length and hook shank length. Do you find that Bass will take a fly in all the way to the head instead of just half way. When I was fishing for peacock bass the flies had a 9-10" tail on them and there was never a short strike. If I had used a long shank hook or a stinger hook they would have got snagged deep in the mouth and possible cause real damage to them. So as long as the wing is not any longer then the baitfish the hook shank could be short. Trout I think are another story. Just thinking because I don't think I've seen a lot of bass patterns with long shank hooks which would make me want to tie some of these trout streamers on a shorter shank if they were to be used for bass.
Thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:18 pm 
Brown Trout

Bob, true bass, like stripped bass or white bass, tend to target the eyes, grabbing their prey by the head, and then swallowing it head first. When fishing strippers with eels, you just hook the eel by the mouth. The attack is usually from the side. Tarpon, marlin, and many other game fish attack similarly. Having the point of the hook near the front of the lure increases hookups.

On the other hand, small mouth bass are notorious short strikers, which is why MOM and Carrie Stevens used 8xl hooks on their streamers. Bluefish are another tail biter. I understand lake trout also grab bait by the tail and run with it.

Large mouth bass tend to come from beneath or behind and inhale their prey. They just suck in everything in the vicinity, and flush the water out their gills. For them, it doesn't much matter where the hook is in the lure, it will be in their mouth.

From my experience fishing streamers for rainbows and browns (a few dozen fish caught) they grab the streamer from behind. I've had a lot of short strikes on woolly buggers, but on feather streamers, like a firey brown, where the hook point is near the 1/2 way mark, a strike is little more than sudden extra weight on the line. I've never actually observed the strike, but the hook is almost always in the lower lip. Rainbows tend to have smallish mouths, so I don't usually use hooks larger than a size 6. In fact, my favorite hook for trout streamers is a size 6, 6xl.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next