southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hey Plumbob.......
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:08 am 
Brown Trout

How about giving some tips on wrapping floss bodies. I'm specifically interested in how to wrap a smooth, flat body for wets & streamers. I was looking at my hair wing streamer offering from last week, and I think it would look great with that smooth & flat body. I liked the tail, wing, & head fine, but the body looks unkempt and that also makes the ribbing a little chubby at two of the wraps.

Of course, anyone else with experience in this arena should feel free to chime in.

Thanks,
Streamer

Post subject: Re: Hey Plumbob.......
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:19 pm 
Brown Trout

Bob showed us all how to do it a couple of years ago at L&T. Weren't you paying attention???

I've also watched Stack Scoville build the body on a Jock Scott. It takes a lot of patience and just the right touch. I've made a few stabs at it, and while my bodies come out much better than they did, I realize I've still got a long way to go to become a master at it.

Maybe Plumbob will give us a remedial lesson....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:34 pm 
Brown Trout

get out the white gloves and pointed --polished stick............ :o :o :o

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:36 pm 
Brown Trout

:lol: Ol Peewee got it again. Just finished up a streamer so I can show you.

1. First thing is using the right thread, it has to be able to lay flat. I use Wapsi ultra thread, Couple spins and the twist is out.
2. Each thread wrap has to be next to each other on each pass if you overlap, it will create a bump.
3. When you tie in material, such as floss, tinsel, you have the material go the full length of the hook shank. If you only go part way you will create an uneven area and it will show up in the floss. There is a way to cheat that a little but its better not to. So in the body I did I tied the floss in at the eye and wrapped the tying thread over the floss all the way to the bend, edge to edge then back to the eye.
Then I take a burnishing tool, the ones you buy for like rod wrapping a normally metal, I don't think they are polished enough. You can spend a few bucks and get a burnisher for gold leaf which is a highly polished stone or just get a nice polished stone like the kids have and epoxy it to a stick. I can show you a couple things when I come to Lyin & tyin. You lightly rub your thread wraps with the stone which helps smooths it out. Then you take the tinsel, tie it in at the eye and do the same as you did for the floss. The reason for doing the different passes is it builds the body up a little more, you can build it up with a underbody floss but I don't want it that big. Another thing with the floss, Don't use four strand floss! If your doing a wet fly or small streamer One of those strands will work fine, using four they can have a tendency of trying to wrap unequally and spread apart as you wrap, think of floss as paint and all you want to do is cover whats under it your not trying to build bulk with the floss. If you have single strand floss and your tying a small wet its sometimes best to split the strand and only use a smaller portion.
4. Only make a single pass with the floss. Don't start at the eye wrap back to the bend and then back to the eye. The wraps may slip on the floss under body and become loose.
When you make your pass I'll overlap just a little less the half of the last wrap. The length of floss that I used for the body was about 17" long, now thats for an 8x hook. I always use gloves when wrapping the floss, I get a box of them from a photography store, they use them for handling negatives. The floss will slide through the gloves with out binding plus you don't get any oils on the floss. Right before you go to wrap the floss stroke the floss between your fingers the full length, this takes out any twist and helps align the fibers so it will lay flat.
5. After you made your wraps of floss take your burnishing tool and go over the floss.
Now the floss I like for the longer streamers is the Japanese silk for the smaller wet and such your normal floss is fine.

Here's the rest of the fly. Its one I had tied up special for someone, call it the Fighting Tiger.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:48 pm 
Warpaint Shiner

Weeeee... that's one sharp looking fly.

Streamer-- those tips don't get any better than that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:52 pm 
Brown Trout

Caleb did I forget anything? :lol: Need you to remind me of things I start to forget. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:03 pm 
Smallmouth Bass

That's one good looking fly. Is it going in a display or actually fished with?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:27 pm 
Brown Trout

red-haired-boy wrote:
Is it going in a display or actually fished with?

This one I will keep for a display box, my bloopers I give to this other guy to fish with, my hoppers and EHC's work to good to try fishin with them kind of streamers, tie them more for fun.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:43 pm 
Brook Trout

Bob:

Simply Amazing!!!

Thanks so much for all your time and patience.

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:04 pm 
Brown Trout

Absolutely beautiful. I'll bet it'd make a killer brookie fly. :twisted:

I had forgotten that you showed me your stone burnisher several years ago. I'm going to have to try that. I'm sure I can find a piece of polished agate somewhere locally ....