southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Warning: long winded newbie questions
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:32 am 
Brown Trout

OK I bought a vice in December. This time of year I take a few friends to fish some of the DH waters and I always tie them on eggs and San Juan’s. I got tired of paying $1 - $2 for a piece of yarn tied to a hook, now I have enough for a lifetime……..

That said now it is my turn to learn to tie flies. The San Juan’s were just a good excuse to own a vice! Everyone says to pick a few patterns to start and concentrate on those. SO here is my list: EHC’s (size 12 – 14), Woolly Buggers (size 8) and Hare’s Ear’s (size 14 – 18). I have looked at recipes and have an idea of what I need, but it is still a little overwhelming. Any suggestions on what to purchase for these patterns or what to look for in materials would be greatly appreciated. I am hoping to get everything together by Lying and Tying so I can come bug a few of you for some instruction. Thanks in advance for your help!

Post subject: Re: Warning: long winded newbie questions
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:37 am 
Brown Trout

FlyFisher22 wrote:
OK I bought a vice in December. This time of year I take a few friends to fish some of the DH waters and I always tie them on eggs and San Juan’s. I got tired of paying $1 - $2 for a piece of yarn tied to a hook, now I have enough for a lifetime……..

That said now it is my turn to learn to tie flies. The San Juan’s were just a good excuse to own a vice! Everyone says to pick a few patterns to start and concentrate on those. SO here is my list: EHC’s (size 12 – 14), Woolly Buggers (size 8) and Hare’s Ear’s (size 14 – 18). I have looked at recipes and have an idea of what I need, but it is still a little overwhelming. Any suggestions on what to purchase for these patterns or what to look for in materials would be greatly appreciated. I am hoping to get everything together by Lying and Tying so I can come bug a few of you for some instruction. Thanks in advance for your help!

Cameron...give me a day or so....I'll give ya a complete detailed list of materials....even try to post ya a few tutorials on those particular flies.....then bring your azz to L&T and drag Little Cherokee with you!! :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:55 am 
Brown Trout

overbrook wrote:
FlyFisher22 wrote:

Cameron...give me a day or so....I'll give ya a complete detailed list of materials....even try to post ya a few tutorials on those particular flies.....then bring your azz to L&T and drag Little Cherokee with you!! :D :D

Thanks for any help you can give! We will be there, if he is not to scared to show his face after falling down on his job :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:40 pm 
Brown Trout

Cam....Here's a site with tutorials for the EHC and the GRHE.

http://www.troutflies.com/tutorials/

For the EHC, here's the recipe:

Hook: Size 14 (or whatever size you want) Dry Fly Hook
Thread: 8/0 - Color to match fly color
Ribbing: Fine Gold wire.
Abdomen(Body): Your color choice. (Tan, Black, Green, Cinnamon)
Hackle: Dry Fly Hackle to match, or just use grizzly to keep things simple.
Wing: Elk Hair (Duh): Color match to body; That is, bleached for a tan caddis, natural/grey for almost everything in the darker colors. Black for a black caddis. You get the picture.
Head: Clipped elk hair and tying thread.

For the GRHE:
Hook: Standard nymph, size 14 (or whatever size you use)
Thread: 8/0 Brown
Underbody/Tail: Hare's ear fur, guard hairs (the stiffer hairs) if possible.
Ribbing: Gold wire or oval tinsel, your choice.
Abdomen: Hare's ear dubbing.
Wing Case: Slip of turkey tail (standard) or 2 strands of Pearl Flashabou for Flashback version.
Thorax: Thick, rough-dubbed hare's ear. Option for Peacock herl, but I like the hare's ear dubbing best.
Head: Thread

NOTE: pick some of the fur out from the thorax to simulate legs. Just a bit, though.

Good Luck! Hands-on instruction is available for these two flies from damn-near anybody at L & T. See you there.

Teachertec/Brad ties a couple of nice versions of eggy-things. Let's see if your post gets him off his duff to show you how he does 'em.

HEY, BRAD ! ! !

Yer Pal,
Streamer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:01 pm 
Brown Trout

FlyFisher22 wrote:

Thanks for any help you can give! We will be there, if he is not to scared to show his face after falling down on his job :lol:

You mean he still hasn't called out whats-his-face? :twisted:

He's welcome to come to L&T anyway. We'll just have to try harder to corrupt him.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:52 pm 
Brown Trout

FlyFisher22 I put up a tutorial for the Pom-Pom egg in the patterns area under nymphs. Hope that helps. It is a easy tie/fabrication.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:59 pm 
Brown Trout

Cam,
Another good step by step site is Charllies Flybox, http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/index.cfm
Good patterns and easy to follow.

GJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:09 pm 
Brown Trout

Also keep in mind that even though it calls for the face guards of a rabid Siberian hare with a clef lip, about anything that can be twisted into a rope will work. This is why JT's cats have started a commune to keep from freezing to death. And if it is too light, hit it with a black or brown Sharpie.

The one big exception is hackle. Buy some good quality stuff to tie dries cause marabou doesn't cut it, so I hear.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:36 am 
Brown Trout

Cam,
Here's a nice video for tying egg patterns with yarn or McFly Foam. If you don't want the veiling on your fly, just leave it off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci-R0eiU6iQ

I'd tie a few with yarn, and a few like Brad does it, and see which one you like best. Brad's is certainly quicker and looks very cool, but if you just want to use material you already have, the pattern in the video works well, too.

Have Fun!
Streamer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:43 pm 
Brown Trout

Long winded? I reckon you've not read a Ben post when he's on a roll! ;)