southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Necessity....the mother of all inventions
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:51 pm 
Brown Trout

Don....I like that one too....but the fatter and rounder the head the better.....often its not the hook that hangs up....its that the fly or line gets wedged into that v in the back of a pad.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:06 am 
Brown Trout

overbrook wrote:
Peddler....you should come down sometime.....care to join me? :D

You got it! Since you mentioned 'sometime', I need to take a rain check for this weekend but don't you forget the offer when I come a-knockin'!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:13 pm 
Brown Trout

Peddler wrote:
overbrook wrote:
Peddler....you should come down sometime.....care to join me? :D

You got it! Since you mentioned 'sometime', I need to take a rain check for this weekend but don't you forget the offer when I come a-knockin'!

Jack...I got screwed this weekend anyway (well sort of....they could of easily gotten me thru the house and did'nt) but I'm on the calender to be home next weekend...or let me know a good weekend for ya this fall and we'll put something together....seriously....lots of good hand sized brim and 1 to 2 pound bass with the oppurtunity for a photo op like this one....

(I'm still a little red in the ass that Peter hogged all the glory that weekend :twisted: ) :lol:
Anybody with a toon,canoe or yak is welcome to come fish...just give me a holler!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:30 pm 
Brown Trout

Would anything deer hair work? I tie my mouse patterns and cut the bottom flat. Never tried to pull them through weeds, but they hop right over downed tree limbs. YOu should be able to get enough deer hair on a hook to hide it pretty good. Of course, the hair itself might foul up.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:47 am 
Brown Trout

fleming13 wrote:
Would anything deer hair work? I tie my mouse patterns and cut the bottom flat. Never tried to pull them through weeds, but they hop right over downed tree limbs. YOu should be able to get enough deer hair on a hook to hide it pretty good. Of course, the hair itself might foul up.

Tie in weed guards. Hard Mason works as does fine piano wire. I doubt you'll find anything more weedless than Overbrooks concoctions though unless you snip off the hook bend.

Last edited by Peddler on Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:06 pm 
Brown Trout

I just use 18 lb mono on my mice. I'm just saying, sometimes you can over think a problem. When maybe a chartreuse green deer hair mouse could sub as a frog. Throw some green rabbit strip off the back and away you go.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:49 pm 
Brown Trout

Well.....I got home over the weekend.....And planned on taking a few of the "inventions" out for a trial run.....just my luck....the weather turned to crap....It barely got above 60 degrees....cold 30mph wind....overcast blah blah blah. I decided to go out anyway and at least see if they were indeed "weedless" The green popper peroformed really well....it travels thru the pads without hanging up (well ...it hung up once out of about 50 casts) keeping the rod tip down and drawing the line straight back seemed to be key. Got one small hit...short strike. I had also tied up a big "deadhead frog" which I never even tied on....and a couple of long hairworms with the hook attached to the rear and a small piece of foam to float the tail up.....they looked good in the water too.....but no fish.....wind was a bitch trying to keep the boat in any one place long enough to cast and retrieve.

I finally gave up and made one lap around the pond with plastics ...caught a couple hand sized bluegill and maybe three small bass....they were pretty well shut down. :twisted:

it turned out to be a pretty crappie weekend fishing wise.....these were hitting 2" white plastic grubs thrown aimlessly out in the deeper water.....

caught about 3 dozen.....till I gut hooked one and decided to keep a few to eat....would'nt ya know....that was the end of the bite :roll:

So the good news is....the flies seem to work for what I wanted.....bad news is....fall is here and the bass have apparently left the shallows :(

will be tying up some Dr. Death....and frying some crappie soon. :D