southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: If You Were In Charge of the Fly Fishing Show..........
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:37 pm 
Brown Trout

I heard and read several comments about the quality and type of fly tyers, exhibitors, vendors, etc. that tend to dominate the booths, seminars, and tying tables at the Fly Fishing Show for the last several years, but especially this year.

So, if it were your show, who would YOU invite? List as many as you want. Here are the categories:

1. Vendors/Mfrs.
2. Fly Shops
3. Guides/Lodges
4. Fly Tyers
5. Authors/Artists
6. Misc./Presenters

Keep in mind that the primary aim here is to attract a large number of attendees who are willing to buy goods/services and are willing to pay for first class seminars/workshops.

Let's see your thoughts.

Yer Pal,
Streamer

Post subject: Re: If You Were In Charge of the Fly Fishing Show..........
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:41 pm 
Brown Trout

In order of 1 - 6 with 1 being of the most importance...
1- Vendors/Mfrs.
2- Fly Tyers
the remainder of equal importance but important none-the-less.

Why do you ask Two Dogs...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:31 pm 
Rainbow Trout

OK, I'll bite...

First let me qualify this by saying we spent only a couple of hours before pulling the ripcord and hitting the Foothills Brewery - having re-prioritized at that point :) ... so I may have missed a few things that were there

*Regional saltwater guides like Brian Horsley and Sarah Gardner from the OBX or the guys from Charleston. They used to come
*Guides who work the area lakes on the fly.
*More local fly shops - this year only a few appeared and only 2 really brought inventory - there are plenty of shops within a 2-3 hour drive that could have been there if they felt it was worth it / wanted to - kudos to Richard and Badger Creek (from NY) ..... I spent money with both of them
* Pontoons / kayaks - or guys that carry them bringing them. One exhibitor this year and I would have liked to really look over what is going on in the market these days - I've always wanted to pick one up....
* Material manufacturer's - I think it would be cool for example, to see Whiting there, talking and teaching about capes and saddles and bronze vs gold, and bringing great selections to actually touch instead of looking online. Same for hook, dubbing companies, etc. I was hoping Allen Fly Fishing would have been there, but they are on another circuit....
* I don't build rods (yet), so I wasn't really looking, but it seemed that was a non-existent market segment for those that do

One thing I thought was a cool new idea - that I missed - was the photography seminar by Lefty - I think that is an area that should expand more - we all take pics, right? I bought an underwater camera last year specifically to get more variety in my trip photos and some people are awfully damn creative....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:05 pm 
Brown Trout

I'm interested in others comments, as I was pretty busy all weekend manning the FFF booth.

I did ask John Martyn why Brian and Sarah didn't come, and he said that they felt it was too far from the coast to be worth their effort. Still, I met people from Hampton Roads, VA, Wilmington, NC, Columbia, SC, Fayetteville, NC, enough to make that logic questionable.

Jason from Allan Fly Fishing does two shows on the west coast this month, so he has never come to this one. He has, for the past several years, come to the SEC-FFF Fly Fishing Festival a bit later in the season. I haven't seen the updated vendor list for the show in May, but there's a good chance he'll be there.

As for rod building, there is the big International Rod Building Show in 2 week in the same location. I think that most of the rod building vendors are skipping the FF Show to concentrate on that.

Dave Scadden has sent Larry Tullis to the show every year for the past 5 or 6 (Dave himself used to come back in Charlotte). The North Fork line is interesting, but I agree, it would be nice to see what some of the other manufactures are selling.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:13 pm 
Brown Trout

1. Vendors/Mfrs. - More rod Mfrs. like Winston and Sage. Redington and Echo. Lamson, Ross, Abel and others for their reels.
2. Fly Shops - Pick your local favorite. They should be here.
3. Guides/Lodges - Plenty of those
4. Fly Tyers - More guys like Steve Yates, Robert Schreiner, Kelly Galloup, Pat Cohen, A.K. Best, Bob Popovics, Scott Sanchez.....Who else?
5. Authors/Artists - Dave & Emily Whitlock Team is still a winner. How about Bob White, Diane Michelin, and Ted Leeson.....others?
6. Misc./Presenters - Dr. Tom Whiting, Chris Helm, CCA, FFF, TU, Keough, Photographer Tosh Brown,

Add to my list or make your own.

Yer Pal,
Streamer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:38 pm 
Brown Trout

Blane Chocklett

Last edited by flyfishn on Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:04 pm 
Smallmouth Bass

Streamer wrote:
So, if it were your show, who would YOU invite? List as many as you want. Here are the categories:

1. Vendors/Mfrs.
2. Fly Shops
3. Guides/Lodges
4. Fly Tyers
5. Authors/Artists
6. Misc./Presenters

I suspect there were a lot more invited then what were there. Looking at your list 1 - 5 are only going to come if they feel like it will be worth their time and travel. The show provider charges for the space. Whitlock may have gotten a reduced rate because of his stature in the industry but I suspect Richard didn't.

Item 6 probably has something to do with how much the show provider is willing to pay to the presenters but again if no one charters their boat or buys their book there may be more profitable things to do that weekend.

I think my point is not who you would want to invite but who would want to set up their "tent".

wilhelm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:20 am 
Rainbow Trout

Thanks to everyone that stopped by my booth. We always appreciate the visit. It could be that Tim is on track...as far as vendors and guides and sales reps, it's all about what you think you get out of the show....or what you make of each show. I've heard a few spectator comments that the show was okay; one or two said they wouldn't make the drive to Winston...but most thought it was great and they were planning on next year.

To the best of my vendor knowledge, everyone is invited. Not everyone chooses to participate. The show has always been good for me. We sell merchandise; we take orders: we make new customers; and we get reaquinted with old customers; and we wave our flag (if we don't will anyone?). From a retailer's perspective, it's always interesting to see who particpates and who doesn't...even when the show is in their backyard. The booth rental is chokingly "substantial." Add to that hotel, meals, gas, closing the store etc..... For guides, you better be booking several trips at each show. For companies, the advertising better be worth it cause none of them or their reps sell products at the shows to offset costs. In the past, some companies did a booth...or their sales reps paid to do a booth...but that is pretty rare these days. In many cases they depend on a dealer/vendor to represent them. Cortland Co. did a booth for the first time in a long while...

This year, I know of a couple of shops that decided not to participate...no one is waving their flag. I talked with Brian Horsely several weeks before the show. He and Sarah have routinely participated in the past but his comment to me was that they get more response from other areas like Penn and they were doing the show there. And, in talking with John Martyn, I understood him to say that Sarah was participating in an event that conflicted with this show.

Whatever...it's always interesting to see who is there and who is not. I signed my contract for 2014 at the show...and am looking forward to next year...again in Winston and essentially the same weekend...but maybe Fri and Sat next time...